#47 | Phil Foden - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get what your saying, but I think stagnation is a bit harsh. He’s been out with injuries and covid (from what I remember) and it’s been a very stop start season for him.

he’s young and will go through spells of being out of form. De Bruyne, Sterling, Bernardo have all been out of form for spells this season

last season really was his breakout year
Stagnation is not harsh and the level he reached is above what a lot of players can only dream.

Young players go through troughs and highs, he is not different, it's how he responds to the troughs that will determine how good he will become.

Stagnation is not harsh and the level he reached is above what a lot of players can only dream.

Young players go through troughs and highs, he is not different, it's how he responds to the troughs that will determine how good he will become.

I hope you noticed an exceptional performance yesterday. Pep challenged him to play a little deeper collecting the ball off his defenders. This allowed Gundogan and Bernardo to get forward and into dangerous areas. Foden would then find more space and looked dangerous himself.
I am sure you would agree his workrate, movement and close control are World class. Some of his touches yesterday were on a different level.

I hope you noticed an exceptional performance yesterday. Pep challenged him to play a little deeper collecting the ball off his defenders. This allowed Gundogan and Bernardo to get forward and into dangerous areas. Foden would then find more space and looked dangerous himself.
I am sure you would agree his workrate, movement and close control are World class. Some of his touches yesterday were on a different level.
I am not criticising him, but I am stating facts that young players have periods where their levels drop, that's natural , he has had years of improving almost game on game to an incredible level.

For me its not appropriate to almost forensically analyse young players performances. The only benchmark fans should be using is one of ' is their standard of play sufficient for them to be one of the match day squad'? Not 'has their form dipped from a previous high'? Even for older more established players using the same benchmark is also appropriate but in their case if there are signs that the trend is downwards we need to start planning for a replacement.

I am not criticising him, but I am stating facts that young players have periods where their levels drop, that's natural , he has had years of improving almost game on game to an incredible level.

Rather ALL players have periods where their form drops.
Niggling injuries,personal issues, tactics, can affect players at any time. Bernardo was off for a while when he was unhappy, Stones , when he had personal issues, KDB, when he had injuries all had a fall off in standard.

Foden has been incredibly challenged by Pep, playing wide, now as a false 9, he didn't play those positions coming through the Academy, so I believe his performances have been exceptional, still a lot to learn and increase his goal output.
When a CF arrives, he will have great experience and knowledge to draw upon, pep wants him to be aware of how to find space( has said it many times), especially when he eventually becomes that attacking midfielder .

I think all too often people expect him to run past players for fun all the time, and when he isn't doing that they think he's having a bad game. They don't notice him doing the basics VERY well, or running off the ball, or drawing defenders out of position to create space.

I think all too often people expect him to run past players for fun all the time, and when he isn't doing that they think he's having a bad game. They don't notice him doing the basics VERY well, or running off the ball, or drawing defenders out of position to create space.

Definitely.
Because for some , maybe most, that is all they can see.

I wonder when Phil is moved back to midfield and plays a deeper role. What level can he get to.

Saw some recent Liverpool matches and thiago looks a player reborn. Never rated but the way he is playing recently. If he carries on that form he will soon be the best midfielder in the world.

His passing close control ability to control midfield is special. I wonder can Phil be as good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.