47 | Phil Foden - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really concerned about Phil.... It breaks my hear when someone isn't living up to his/her potential. Phil is still young and he may retire with multiple balon d'ors but right now something just isn't clicking. The truth is, he is head and shoulders above the rest of the players around his age in the premier league apart from our very own Erling. At his best, there is maybe only Mbappe ahead of him in his age bracket.

He is doing well 'career-wise', winning titles every season, individual awards, and also producing a somewhat decent G/A output. Even if he retires tomorrow, his career will have been a 'success'. However, there is still a mountain for him to climb in terms of his own footballing potential and showcasing it during the big moments: the derbys, the big ucl games, games vs the dippers etc. Every true city fan knows that his potential is balon d'or worthy. Maybe it's him being a City fan that's making me overestimate his potential, but it'll truly be a sad thing for football if this kid doesn't reach the heights he can.
I reckon Phil might just have a handle on this Soccer thing....but thanks for your concern.

Agreed. He'll be back where he's more comfortable too. Not as a false 9, but facing the goal, running at people, creating things. Having the likes of Haaland to work with will absolutely benefit him. Can't wait for it personally.
The experience of being uncomfortable and appreciating the roles around him will have only been of long term benefit,despite the degree of superficial stagnation.

Like you,i expect big things.....especially given the new set up.

I'd like to see him this year given more opportunities in the attacking central midfield roles. His greatest strength for me is the way he wriggles out of tight spaces with his quick feet, and doing that centrally is far more dangerous than in the wide areas, especially with "proper" forwards in front of him.

The perfect example of that was the goal he created for De Bruyne against Atletico.

He needs to improve his finishing too in situations where he drags the ball across the keeper.
He was actually an right side attacking midfielder in 4231 or so called right winger when he created that goal for KDB. Not central midfielder.

Actually most of our goals come from the right wing because we overload the left so if he plays there more often he may get better G/A this season.

He was actually an right side attacking midfielder in 4231 or so called right winger when he created that goal for KDB. Not central midfielder.

Actually most of our goals come from the right wing because we overload the left so if he plays there more often he may get better G/A this season.
I know he was but he tucked into a more central position for that goal, and that's the area I'd like to see him feature more in.

If we sign Curcarella we might see the full backs overlapping more which would push him more into that space if he does play in the wider roles. I can't remember the full details but I think that's what was happening when he made that goal.

I don't have the stats but from watching Phil all season I think he defiantly needs to work hard on his finishing he could of for sure scored quite a few more goals for example he had a one v one in the first leg against RM (btw I think our whole squad needs much more training on 1v1 and penalties in my option both of this weakness come from low confidence in front of goal) Let me know what you think.

Last year was a bit of a consolidation year after 3 successive seasons of massive forward progress.

I expect he'll kick on again this season.

When I watch him Sometimes it looks like he is trying to encapsulate all Pep has taught him in the last few years..
His natural and world class skill is to take the ball on the half turn and create chances.
Pep has contentrated on his weaknesses which were finding spaces by movement aka Silva.
So yes if he relaxes doesn't try so much on improving it should be a great year for him.

Really concerned about Phil.... It breaks my hear when someone isn't living up to his/her potential. Phil is still young and he may retire with multiple balon d'ors but right now something just isn't clicking. The truth is, he is head and shoulders above the rest of the players around his age in the premier league apart from our very own Erling. At his best, there is maybe only Mbappe ahead of him in his age bracket.

He is doing well 'career-wise', winning titles every season, individual awards, and also producing a somewhat decent G/A output. Even if he retires tomorrow, his career will have been a 'success'. However, there is still a mountain for him to climb in terms of his own footballing potential and showcasing it during the big moments: the derbys, the big ucl games, games vs the dippers etc. Every true city fan knows that his potential is balon d'or worthy. Maybe it's him being a City fan that's making me overestimate his potential, but it'll truly be a sad thing for football if this kid doesn't reach the heights he can.
A shining example of why you shouldn't post when you're pissed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.