47 | Phil Foden - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t see Foden replacing Kev. Foden hasn’t got the same vision or passing trange. Very different players. I’m not sure Phil will ever be as good as peak Kev.
Not a direct replacement, but when Kev is unavailable (or leaves, or retires), Phil is our creative force. He might do it in different ways, and absolutely might not ever be as good (Kev being one of the best midfielders the league has ever seen - I wouldn't argue with you if you said the best) but functionally they occupy a similar role.

Pep probably managing his minutes but didn't think it was right that he was one of those first subs. He didn't have a good game but he's played on the left once all season. He should have at least been given an opportunity to go over to the right whilst Grealish held the left.

Overused by Southgate last week, the lad needs a break. Unfortunately, we can't afford to do that. This is where we need a Cole Palmer type player to step up
Sorry but I disagree completely.

He is 23 years old, fit as a fiddle, nothing to do with playing too many games.

We are lorded the guy recently for his maturity and brilliant performances, yesterday he was simply poor and never got into the game.

In saying that for me he is wasted out wide, he needs to be more central and be involved for the whole match, the same applies to Bernardo.

Stones and Foden didn't have the balls or the intelligence to tell Southgate they wouldn't start in two consecutive games for England. As a result, Stones wasn't available and Foden wasn't fresh enough for what was a far bigger game than a friendly vs Belgium. Stones's (in)decision in particular was inexcusable, given that Walker was already injured.

Ake's the same, played two full games for the Netherlands and then got a first-half injury in the far bigger and more important game.

These decisions may be the difference between winning everything and winning nothing.

Last edited:
Been brilliant for the majority of the season. He was very disappointing yesterday though, no getting away from that.
On to the next one.

Overused by Southgate last week, the lad needs a break. Unfortunately, we can't afford to do that. This is where we need a Cole Palmer type player to step up
Be interested to know whether its common practice for players to ask to be left out, or for their minutes to be reduced in situations like the Foden one for England this week?

If I'm Southgate, I'd be mindful that the next time this happens, that Foden does a 'Saka' and pull out due to injury. Southgate has to be careful not to overuse players during spells like this, and he's completely fucked it up in this last week.

Pep bringing Foden off after 60 minutes felt like a bit of a lesson to Foden for next time. I wouldn't put it past Pep to do something like that despite it being such a huge game.

Be interested to know whether its common practice for players to ask to be left out, or for their minutes to be reduced in situations like the Foden one for England this week?

If I'm Southgate, I'd be mindful that the next time this happens, that Foden does a 'Saka' and pull out due to injury. Southgate has to be careful not to overuse players during spells like this, and he's completely fucked it up in this last week.

Pep bringing Foden off after 60 minutes felt like a bit of a lesson to Foden for next time. I wouldn't put it past Pep to do something like that despite it being such a huge game.

I see where you are coming from, but Pep subbed him off because he was poor, and because Kevin was probably the only one on the pitch who could create a chance for Haaland. Foden was misplacing passes under no pressure. Guess he played a lot of football recently...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.