47 | Phil Foden - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Be interested to know whether its common practice for players to ask to be left out, or for their minutes to be reduced in situations like the Foden one for England this week?

If I'm Southgate, I'd be mindful that the next time this happens, that Foden does a 'Saka' and pull out due to injury. Southgate has to be careful not to overuse players during spells like this, and he's completely fucked it up in this last week.

Pep bringing Foden off after 60 minutes felt like a bit of a lesson to Foden for next time. I wouldn't put it past Pep to do something like that despite it being such a huge game.

I don't think the players themselves would ever ask the England manager to play less minutes. You're on England duty, you accepted the call up, so you should be ready to play when they tell you.

Pointless friendly or not, players shouldn't be dictating to managers how much they're willing to play.

However I don't think it's too disrespectful for the club and national team to have a bit of an agreement before hand that you won't flog them for 2 games when it's not necessary. This would be the proper way to approach it, not put the burden on the player to do it.

The thing with Pep is he always seems to have a lot of respect for other managers. So I don't think he would try to step on anyone toes like that. Not like piss can who would call up the England manager and dictate which players he can pick or not.

I know this is about Phil but those friendlies when it comes to Walker and Stones has helped absolutely nobody. The players are injured, the club lose the players and the national team has to hope the players get back 100% for the euros. For what? Playing your two nailed on starters in two nothing games you could've used to look at other players. Just seems idiotic to me.

Stones and Foden didn't have the balls or the intelligence to tell Southgate they wouldn't start in two consecutive games for England. As a result, Stones wasn't available and Foden wasn't fresh enough for what was a far bigger game than a friendly vs Belgium. Stones's (in)decision in particular was inexcusable, given that Walker was already injured.

Ake's the same, played two full games for the Netherlands and then got a first-half injury in the far bigger and more important game.

These decisions may be the difference between winning everything and winning nothing. Soft and stupid.
Pep rested Foden midweek before Anfield and Foden did not perform facing Liverpool as well. Then social media pundits said Pep should keep him playing to keep the rhythm.

If you think that 24 year old Foden cannot play 3 full games at his best level, you put him in the basket for average ones not the one England and City could depend on.

The fact is that Arsenal had many players out on international duties and they came to our ground. Stop looking for excuses...

Pep rested Foden midweek before Anfield and Foden did not perform facing Liverpool as well. Then social media pundits said Pep should keep him playing to keep the rhythm.

If you think that 24 year old Foden cannot play 3 full games at his best level, you put him in the basket for average ones not the one England and City could depend on.

The fact is that Arsenal had many players out on international duties and they came to our ground. Stop looking for excuses...

Those who thought he was poor at Anfield because he didn't play in midweek, if there such people in the first place, were looking for excuses, not me.

It wouldn't have been bad for him if he missed the Belgium friendly. Fatigue can be mental, not only physical. He has never played so many minutes at that stage of the season. And guess what, it's showing in his recent performances.

He has been the player of the season. Who's been better?

That’s my point. I wanted more from the ‘player of the season’!

I said the other day that he could shake off the England nonsense and make the difference in our biggest game of the season. Alas not.

That’s my point. I wanted more from the ‘player of the season’!

I said the other day that he could shake off the England nonsense and make the difference in our biggest game of the season. Alas not.
I still think he should of played in the middle midfield, that's where he has played his best football. Kovacic had a poor game, kept getting caught in possession, doesn't offer the same attacking threat as Phil. I
was hoping he started Grealish on the left, although I understand he probably wasn't fully fit. You are right these England friendlies have really fucked us over this week, so unnecessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.