47 | Phil Foden - 2023/24

He’s not.

He has 54 Premier League goals. Gerrard’s Premier League total is 120.

Gerrards total in England is 185. Foden is on 87.

Just to add that Gerrard padded that with 32 Premier League penalties.

City Legend Frank Lampard, the other great scorer from midfield, also had 43 PL penalties.

On the flip side, with the likes of false 9s, and wingers being used as principal goal scorers, making comparisons is very difficult.

Just to add that Gerrard padded that with 32 Premier League penalties.

City Legend Frank Lampard, the other great scorer from midfield, also had 43 PL penalties.

On the flip side, with the likes of false 9s, and wingers being used as principal goal scorers, making comparisons is very difficult.
Yes, I’m not much one for wading into the ‘penalties stat padding argument’, otherwise we start devaluing the totals of everyone including Aguero et al.

It does make Foden’s total impressive, but as you say, there’s always a counter argument.

Yes, I’m not much one for wading into the ‘penalties stat padding argument’, otherwise we start devaluing the totals of everyone including Aguero et al.

It does make Foden’s total impressive, but as you say, there’s always a counter argument.

I think if you're comparing two particular players, then one taking penalties is a huge difference. The difference between top class penalty takers is pretty minimal, so they are easy padding.

It's a bit like Cole Palmer this season - there is probably no other club that he would walk into and be able to take over penalty duties so easily. At Chelsea he was fortunate to be surrounded by other 21/22 year old attackers, and Raheem Sterling.

Aguero will usually be compared to other strikers, most of whom are penalty takers, so I don't think it's as big an issue. If you want a little fairness, Aguero has more career goals than Alan Shearer, in a lot less appearances, and more of Shearer's were penalties. There are very few situations where Aguero's record will be devalued :)

Can’t get over how fucking mint he is.

Hometown kid, City fan, bleeds blue and the best footballer in the league while putting this monstrous team on his back and pulling us to the title. Mustard, absolutely mustard.

And only 23. We’ve got another, at least, 10 years of him without having to worry that he’ll have his head turned.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.