47 | Phil Foden - 2023/24

For him to play in the middle, he has to not get caught on the ball so much. Kev rarely gets caught on the ball but will give the ball away attempting to be creative. Therefore it's usually higher up the pitch and we can recover better.

Thought he was good without being great last night. Still lots to improve on.
There were a few times last night when he did run down a blind alley and lose the ball. I prefer him in the side than not but there is still improvement needed in some parts of his game.

There were a few times last night when he did run down a blind alley and lose the ball. I prefer him in the side than not but there is still improvement needed in some parts of his game.
Defo. Me too. We saw some good things from the Foden and Grealish right/left combo last year but Pep didn't play it as much as we thought he would.

I stand by what I’ve said of Foden but regardless, this season has to be THE defining season for Phil to make the leap from young academy player in a squad role to an established figure in the team who we can rely on to step up consistently. Not a young prospect anymore.
He wasn't in a 'squad role' in 20/21 or 21/22. He played 3,000+ minutes in both of those seasons.

I stand by what I’ve said of Foden but regardless, this season has to be THE defining season for Phil to make the leap from young academy player in a squad role to an established figure in the team who we can rely on to step up consistently. Not a young prospect anymore.

Despite your very firm opinions regarding Foden's ultimate future prospects, I suspect the City management will make the final decision on the way in which his game will be advanced and progressed.

It is possible that Pep has different thoughts than you, and possibly has a planned succession style and position, which differs from your own ?

Of course I accept it is only your personal opinion, even though you do manage to make it sound authoritive and essential for the good of his career.

Defo. Me too. We saw some good things from the Foden and Grealish right/left combo last year but Pep didn't play it as much as we thought he would.
Grealish got almost zero G/A when pairing Foden right wing. But got much more G/A when pairing with mahrez. I found it very weird and could not really explain it. But it is definitely more balanced attacking output on both wings with Grealish+ Mahrez than Grealish + Foden. I guess that it might be the reason- a more balanced and unpredictable attacking system. Let's see if it changes this season.

Squad role? He’s started loads of the most important games. He already is an established figure in the first team.

We have a squad. Even KDB gets rotated at times. As above your opinion makes things sound very factual

The question surrounding Phil is that everyone has said for years what a supremely talented player he is. And we have all seen that talent but has he showed enough of it. As a comparison, Saka and Foden were deemed to be the future world class English stars a few years ago. Saka has definitely gone on to totally establish himself but, it must be said, Phil has not quite developed and improved in the same way. He is clearly an excellent player but he is 23 now and, to be honest, has not quite lived up to the hype received over previous years. City fans all want him to do so so well and start dominating games now like the great players do. We have seen players such as David Silva, Yaya and KDB have incredible games and standout performances on a consistent basis. The question remains whether this extremely talented young Manchester lad will be able to elevate his game to that elite level in the future or get close to it...that is the dream for all City fans.

Very good player and clearly technically superb. Currently doesn't have a presence factor to influence games. City fans have enormous expectations of him, myself included, and would love for him to become a genuine balloon d'Or contender very soon.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.