47 | Phil Foden - 2023/24

I think in the midst of the Foden discourses recently, people are too quick to be overly positive about Foden and are too quick to defend him.

I know people won't like to hear this but imo, he hasn't made much improvement with his play for the last 3-4 years. He still plays like an academy player on the pitch. Too giddy and shakey on the ball. For me everytime he gets on the ball I feel he might lose the ball. No improvement on the "pausa" aspect that pep wants of him. He's too much of a "live-wire".

Also i don't know if anyone notices but he makes too much off the ball runs when it's not needed, 8/10 times any action he makes he always accompanies it with a forward run. I don't know if pep has asked him to do this or not but no one else in the team does this as much as him. It's not good because it sends the wrong signal to his teamates and causes them to make a long pass to him which he doesn't get most times.

Also, he drops and asks for the ball way too much, teamate gets ball, okay come up in his face and ask for the ball. Instead of making subtle movements to manipulate the opponent shape he just drops and incessantly asks for the ball.

People say he can replace KDB. Ok firstly, he can’t play in the gundo position because he doesn’t have the skillsets required to play there and secondly, even though Foden and KDB are both “High-tempo” players KDB makes up for this by his ridiculous chance creation. Foden is significantly less creative than KDB. Again, we saw yesterday how his final actions on the ball were subpar when he had the time and space.

I predict when pep has his best team later on in the season foden will not be a part of that 11.

I think you’re over analysing and being very critical and overly negative. ‘Foden is significantly less creative than KDB’ - you can apply that to pretty much every player in the world and the city squad. It’s difficult for anyone to replace him.

‘He still plays like an academy player’ - he’s still developing and still learning, but he’s been crucial to a lot of our trophy wins and in big matches.

We are one game in. I really don’t get your negativity or criticism of basically his entire game style.

There’s stats a few pages back - most of which are better than players like Bellingham and Saka. I think he’ll do fine this season as always.

Last edited:
I feel like he was involved in every dangerous bit of play we had... give him time through the middle and he will make it his own. Can't wait to see what he can produce while Kev gets better.

Dont think pep will have him in the middle, he just cant do what dave used to do or what kev does now

No one can do what KDB or silva can do, but when he has played in the middle he’s often been great. It’s too early to write him off already - plying in the middle

Pep has been playing him in the middle so he must think he can do it

For him to play in the middle, he has to not get caught on the ball so much. Kev rarely gets caught on the ball but will give the ball away attempting to be creative. Therefore it's usually higher up the pitch and we can recover better.

Thought he was good without being great last night. Still lots to improve on.

For him to play in the middle, he has to not get caught on the ball so much. Kev rarely gets caught on the ball but will give the ball away attempting to be creative. Therefore it's usually higher up the pitch and we can recover better.

Thought he was good without being great last night. Still lots to improve on.

Long way to go in the season, think he will be better with more game time .

I think in the midst of the Foden discourses recently, people are too quick to be overly positive about Foden and are too quick to defend him.

I know people won't like to hear this but imo, he hasn't made much improvement with his play for the last 3-4 years. He still plays like an academy player on the pitch. Too giddy and shakey on the ball. For me everytime he gets on the ball I feel he might lose the ball. No improvement on the "pausa" aspect that pep wants of him. He's too much of a "live-wire".

Also i don't know if anyone notices but he makes too much off the ball runs when it's not needed, 8/10 times any action he makes he always accompanies it with a forward run. I don't know if pep has asked him to do this or not but no one else in the team does this as much as him. It's not good because it sends the wrong signal to his teamates and causes them to make a long pass to him which he doesn't get most times.

Also, he drops and asks for the ball way too much, teamate gets ball, okay come up in his face and ask for the ball. Instead of making subtle movements to manipulate the opponent shape he just drops and incessantly asks for the ball.

People say he can replace KDB. Ok firstly, he can’t play in the gundo position because he doesn’t have the skillsets required to play there and secondly, even though Foden and KDB are both “High-tempo” players KDB makes up for this by his ridiculous chance creation. Foden is significantly less creative than KDB. Again, we saw yesterday how his final actions on the ball were subpar when he had the time and space.

I predict when pep has his best team later on in the season foden will not be a part of that 11.
Very detailed analysis of the player. I agree with a lot of what you say. Imo he needs to grow into a role. Coming for the ball but only passing it back is no good to us. He does need to slow down and dictate the game.

I know you will get a load of abuse for scrutinising our academy star but you make some very good observations, much that I agree with.

We all want him to take another step forward. I trust pep to allow him the opportunity to grow. Questions wil be asked of him this season after a hit and miss campaign albeit due to injuries. Waiting patiently for him to command a spot and become the main man.

I think he is lost amongst some very good players and he need to demand that same respect.

Last edited:
I think you’re over analysing and being very critical and overly negative. ‘Foden is significantly less creative than KDB’ - you can apply that to pretty much every player in the world and the city squad. It’s difficult for anyone to replace him.

‘He still plays like an academy player’ - he’s still developing and still learning, but he’s been crucial to a lot of our trophy wins and in big matches.

We are one game in. I really don’t get your negativity or criticism of basically his entire game style.

There’s stats a few pages back - most of which are better than players like Bellingham and Saka. I think he’ll do fine this season as always.
I stand by what I’ve said of Foden but regardless, this season has to be THE defining season for Phil to make the leap from young academy player in a squad role to an established figure in the team who we can rely on to step up consistently. Not a young prospect anymore.

I love Phil, he is a wonderful talent but hes not a replacement for KDB.
This is a big season for Phil, hes not a kid anymore, i hope he steps up & regularly shows the ability most of us think hes capable of

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.