47 | Phil Foden - 2023/24

Bit pissed off here, so I'm letting rip...
Southgate needs to drop Declan rice,. Abandon the "must have an arsenal player in the England central midfield team....and tell Bellingham to do the destroyer/ dirty work, free up our sides creative capabilities and put Phil Foden ,of Manchester City ,unvaccinated.....in central midfield.
For he is the future of English football...for all with eyes to see.
I am sick of this pussy footy about.
Sort the team out .Gareth. Now.

The problem is that Bellingham has had a major impact in two games, scored a worldie in the last minute of a knockout tie, and came in as a media darling. Phil is on a hiding to nothing atm, but he also hasn’t made the most of what few sparks he has shown.

Sadly, he’s a star in a club team with a world class supporting cast. In the England team, he is left woefully short of the support (and space) needed to perform at his normal level.

Last edited:
Southgate needs to drop Declan rice,. Abandon the "must have an arsenal player in the England central midfield team....and tell Bellingham to do the destroyer/ dirty work, free up our sides creative capabilities and put Phil Foden ,of Manchester City ,unvaccinated.....in central midfield.
If Southgate does this and England crash out, everyone would turn on him. The best time to have tried this out would have been at the group stage when the stakes weren't so high, unfortunately he played it too safe and now he wouldn't even think of doing something like this.

He will drop Phil.

Foden won’t start the next game. Even tho it’s out of position he‘s been the weakest of the 3 behind Kane. Them scoring 2 after he was subbed out didn’t help him either.

Foden won’t start the next game. Even tho it’s out of position he‘s been the weakest of the 3 behind Kane. Them scoring 2 after he was subbed out didn’t help him either.
Last game said he’s been better than Saka. The 2 games prior he was better than both Saka and Bellingham. Bellingham’s (incredible) goal has got him out of jail otherwise many would be asking for him to change with Phil. Most of the mainstream media were asking for Phil through the middle after the Slovenia game.

I don’t actually think he will be dropped. He played 95 mins and Southgate didn’t change it so I’m inclined to think he doesn’t think it’s the issue, and that he will stick with the same. If he is to change I think it will be either Phil or Saka. Possibly Saka on the basis that people are pining for Palmer.

I see your angle...

However Phil's pressing and energy did help keep England in the game...ie only 1nil down.
The lack of pure flair and creativity on display from central mid hampered England...
What I did notice was that Foden was the the go to player for every free kick or corner,either side....that's respect. The other players have seen in training etc, that Foden is the most accurate ball player in the squad. That is a given . ..so why, after using the dead ball scenarios ,where I counted he put the ball on Kanes head 4 times,....when you add that to the number of shots / runs into the box....he has,imo , done as much as he can ,stuck put on the left.

Imagine how much Kane would appreciate a two footed centre mid supplying balls to him in open play....I cannot believe I'm having this conversation tbh, it's not rocket science....

I've watched Foden crawl into the England team over the years and been sidelinded.why ?
I've watched mainoo ,after not even a full season , be fast tracked into the full international team,in his favourite position, and that just is not right. The utd player has made a couple of decent passes,done his best, but there have been great gaps in centre mid and some sloppy marking
That should not be occurring with the amount of robotic defensive mids we have wandering about.I read this morning that Mainoo had made made the worst euro 11 so far line up ....we can see how that played out.

And now the team is crying out for creativity in the knockout stages,
The premier league player of the year is spoken about as if he is to be dropped. That cannot be right .

Play Foden Centre and drop one of the robotic side ways pass merchants.

When City went to Spurs at the end of the season, Gareth must have seen Foden get kicked to bits in a difficult 1st half, but then have the resolve to turn up in advanced centre mid and spray a wonderful defence splitting ball out to Doku, with back spin and precision ,playing the pass as tho he was on a beach,,....surely Gareth would have seen right their ,the ability nobody else has in the squad, ..just the sort of defence splitting/ in the blink of an eye moment of brilliance that wins games.

For that is the purpose of playing knockout stage football.?

I started watching England under Ron Greenwood. Watching the modern day England, despite the ' new ' tactics, it's almost as though I was a child again...because nothing seems to have changed....at the top.where it matters.

Southgate, imo,should not have set out on this new passing journey, one that was ,from my recollection, alien to him at kick and rush vintage Crystal Palace as a player, and certainly not a feature of the relegated Boro side he managed....begs the question, who put this man in charge.

I digress.

Bellingham is a funny one because he seems to ghost games and provide nothing to create or build chances and then bang he scores a big header or overhead kick.

Must admit I didn’t watch much of him in la liga or even when he was at Dortmund but from what I’ve seen of him in the champions league and the euros, he’s massively overrated and covers his flaws with bravado and big moments.

Foden for any other nation at the euros would be playing as the most creative midfielder through the middle. He’s a much better player than Bellingham, being asked to play a pointless role in an underperforming team.

Had Foden played as a 10 from the off, we’d have seen a different player and a much improved England. Southgate is a mug. If he were to remain for the next World Cup i’d implore Phil to retire.
I agree.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.