47 | Phil Foden - 2023/24

The problem is not the position. When he plays for City he has world class team mates who pass to him. When he plays for England he has talented egotists who want the glory for themselves.

Whilst he's not pulled up any trees he must be sick of asking for the ball between the lines when unmarked for Rice/Bellingham/Trippier to hold on to it and pass it sidewards.

This is it entirely.

And it's the reason why the answer for England is to play Phil deeper as an 8, because he's got the ability to get on the ball and get England playing football (comparatively speaking).

He's the one with the most ability, yet Rice is the one getting the ball the most. Let him share that responsibility and also push forward from deep, so he can make late runs into the box like Gundogan and probably be harder to mark as a result.

Phil Foden is the most gifted player in English football.
He should be the leader of that team. The heartbeat.
There are many reasons why GS does not pick Foden central midfield...
It breaks my heart to see the lad sidelinded.when he should be running the show. I don't think Southgate has the balls... or the power to make the simple switch.

The England football team is being managed by a limp dickhead.

The words Self destruct and Torture spring to my mind when
assessing our managers posistion.

Last edited:
It cuts deep to see Phil bring treated so badly by Southgate. Playing in an alien position to accommodate the petulant egotist Bellingham who has been largely very poor. I trust his confidence is not damaged by this.

It breaks my heart to see the lad sidelinded.when he should be running the show. I don't think Southgate has the balls... or the power to make the simple switch.
That's the problem though. It's not a simple switch, because he's clearly spent no time coaching attacking patterns. In his first tournament, with poorer players and low expectations, it was completely understandable to go in with a solid structure, relying on set pieces and individual talent. But he's been in the job for 8 years now, so there's no excuse for not having had the time to implement something a bit more complex. Spain have managed it. Germany have managed it with no competitive football for 2 years. It's true, however, that there's no time to implement a new style of play in the middle of a tournament, so basically we're stuck with trying to pick which players are most likely to do something individually. Put Rodri in our team and he'd look like Rice, because there would be no-one showing for the ball and there'd be about 30 yards between him and the attacking players.

That's the problem though. It's not a simple switch, because he's clearly spent no time coaching attacking patterns. In his first tournament, with poorer players and low expectations, it was completely understandable to go in with a solid structure, relying on set pieces and individual talent. But he's been in the job for 8 years now, so there's no excuse for not having had the time to implement something a bit more complex. Spain have managed it. Germany have managed it with no competitive football for 2 years. It's true, however, that there's no time to implement a new style of play in the middle of a tournament, so basically we're stuck with trying to pick which players are most likely to do something individually. Put Rodri in our team and he'd look like Rice, because there would be no-one showing for the ball and there'd be about 30 yards between him and the attacking players.
Agree with most of that apart from you can change a system during a tournament it’s been done before. This is the definition of insanity as there has been no improvement. One other thing i disagree on is that Rodders would look like Rice. I’ve seen a few times where Foden has drifted in but unlike Rodri by the time Rice sees the pass the space has gone

Bellingham is a funny one because he seems to ghost games and provide nothing to create or build chances and then bang he scores a big header or overhead kick.

Must admit I didn’t watch much of him in la liga or even when he was at Dortmund but from what I’ve seen of him in the champions league and the euros, he’s massively overrated and covers his flaws with bravado and big moments.

Foden for any other nation at the euros would be playing as the most creative midfielder through the middle. He’s a much better player than Bellingham, being asked to play a pointless role in an underperforming team.

Had Foden played as a 10 from the off, we’d have seen a different player and a much improved England. Southgate is a mug. If he were to remain for the next World Cup i’d implore Phil to retire.

Yes I agree,after your comments, it would not be a simple switch.

You pinpointed the problem a lot more clearer than I did. ; )

Premier League player of the season and the respect he deserves is not being shown simply because he plays for City that’s the top and bottom of it.Most silverware than any player in the England squad and if he played for the red cartel he would be adored by all. Disgusting
Nailed it.
The lack of Respect.......and that cuts deep to a player...who if Foden looked back at Southgates career would see a central midfield player ...several levels below his level....and after being coached by Pep, and played the wrong postion by an ex Middelsborogh manager......
Do.not.get.me. started.
It's a fucking mess. PHIL Foden deserves better,much better.
Sorry Gareth, you.are.a powerless.clown. ..and you know it.
I'm fuming.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.