47 | Phil Foden - 2023/24

Both David Silva and KDB were 2 years older than Phil when we signed them, and both needed a bit of time to settle before they became considered best in the league. Iniesta's Pep era peak was a similar age to both of Silva's and KDBs, around 26ish. Very few players have a Messi like breakthrough, and even fewer when you're playing the CAM role that he is starting to look comfortable in. It's hard to be patient with him, but he's still probably 2 or 3 seasons, a bit of body mass, and a bit more learning away from his peak years with us.
That’s a scary thought when you consider how good he looked on Saturday - Phil is so talented we could start to see a lot more instances like Saturday this season. His time is arriving, partly due to necessity but it’s still coming regardless

I agree with every word. The media in the UK are so stupid it is unbelievable. Why any player would want to flog themselves to death playing 60+ games a season is beyond me. I am genuinely concerned of our over reliance of Rodri and hope we can ease the burden on him this season. Foden is a generational talent and City’s development of him has been exemplary - both physically & tactically.The media should be pointing this out and explaining how Phil & England benefit from this instead they criticise as they are instructed to do - wankers!
I think there’s so many ‘football’ people in the media that are just dinosaurs compared to Pep. They don’t understand how to create something like he has and couldn’t have achieved it even given twice the resources. That’s why we see so many crazy comments about Phil over the years - they’re giving their best opinions but they fall woefully short of Peps vision and management- we are blessed to have the owners and board they got to convince Pep we were a good fit for him.

That’s a scary thought when you consider how good he looked on Saturday - Phil is so talented we could start to see a lot more instances like Saturday this season. His time is arriving, partly due to necessity but it’s still coming regardless
This season and next season is his now or never time if he's going to be a player we will build the club around. To get back to Kev and Silva, this was when they were starting to turn promise into consistent performances at mid-sized European clubs that got our attention in the first place. EG, if Foden was a German kid playing for Wolfsburg putting performances like he did against Newcastle then he'd obviously be on our radar and if he keeps doing it then we'd be going in for him next summer or the summer after.

The press and some City fans have short memories, though, and struggle to be patient.

I have honestly never doubted him. His development has been like clockwork.

This season and next season is his now or never time if he's going to be a player we will build the club around. To get back to Kev and Silva, this was when they were starting to turn promise into consistent performances at mid-sized European clubs that got our attention in the first place. EG, if Foden was a German kid playing for Wolfsburg putting performances like he did against Newcastle then he'd obviously be on our radar and if he keeps doing it then we'd be going in for him next summer or the summer after.

The press and some City fans have short memories, though, and struggle to be patient.

I have honestly never doubted him. His development has been like clockwork.
Agreed - his talent was never in doubt and he had a great season in patches last year. Injuries and the World Cup made it a stop/start season which is hard to judge when he was only 22/23

We need to get close to our striker every game possible, even when KDB is back. I can see pep using him as an interior winger, similar to Saturday, with KDB as the 10, offset to the left. So effectively your front three is Haaland in front of KDB and Foden, which is perfect because they are hands down our most lethal players.

The dilemma is holding the width. Jack, naturally, will do this for most of the season on the left. I rate that if we get Nunes he could also be used there if Jack is injured or needs a break. Maybe Doku could deputise here, but he will most likely operate mostly from the right.

Obviously Walker stretched the game on Sat by playing high and wide. I worry how sustainable it is for him to do this role though, as he is 33y.o. So what are the other options? Bernardo? I don't think we will see Doku, Grealish, Foden and KDB in the same side a it means one would have to defend in front of our centre halves out of possession.

To get in the side regularly Foden needs to nail down the spot defending in front of our RB when we are compact. I know KDB is out now but he has anchored down the defensive role of pressing their centre halves. I suspect Alvarez will do this mainly in Kev's absence and then be rotated with Kev upon his return.

Exciting prospect though...

We need to get close to our striker every game possible, even when KDB is back. I can see pep using him as an interior winger, similar to Saturday, with KDB as the 10, offset to the left. So effectively your front three is Haaland in front of KDB and Foden, which is perfect because they are hands down our most lethal players.

The dilemma is holding the width. Jack, naturally, will do this for most of the season on the left. I rate that if we get Nunes he could also be used there if Jack is injured or needs a break. Maybe Doku could deputise here, but he will most likely operate mostly from the right.

Obviously Walker stretched the game on Sat by playing high and wide. I worry how sustainable it is for him to do this role though, as he is 33y.o. So what are the other options? Bernardo? I don't think we will see Doku, Grealish, Foden and KDB in the same side a it means one would have to defend in front of our centre halves out of possession.

To get in the side regularly Foden needs to nail down the spot defending in front of our RB when we are compact. I know KDB is out now but he has anchored down the defensive role of pressing their centre halves. I suspect Alvarez will do this mainly in Kev's absence and then be rotated with Kev upon his return.

Exciting prospect though...
We need to plan for injuries to Doku, who has missed tons of games. Medical dept need to work their magic.

We need to plan for injuries to Doku, who has missed tons of games. Medical dept need to work their magic.
I don't think he'll play a huge amount of minutes this season, so hopefully that helps his injury record going forward. Overloading young players has led to long term injury stained careers, example off the top of my head being Wilshere.

Perhaps this has been part of the thinking behind Fodens career development so far too. One thing is for sure though, at 23 he is ready and we need to flip the switch on for him now so he can become the best player in the league, which of course he has the ability to do... And he can do that FAST.

I don't think he'll play a huge amount of minutes this season, so hopefully that helps his injury record going forward. Overloading young players has led to long term injury stained careers, example off the top of my head being Wilshere.

Perhaps this has been part of the thinking behind Fodens career development so far too. One thing is for sure though, at 23 he is ready and we need to flip the switch on for him now so he can become the best player in the league, which of course he has the ability to do... And he can do that FAST.
It absolutely was part of the thinking in Phil’s development. He was very slight at 18 and was given a special training regime to develop his muscle strength. Well handled by the club he is now ready for the rigours of 90 mins in the middle. You are so right about the overloading of young players. Trevor Francis carried Brum at 16 and it all but wrecked his career in Italy in his 20s.
I‘m very hopeful that Phil is going to be an all time great for us.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.