47 | Phil Foden - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw this post about Foden and his development. I am glad primed Foden to play the role he is now.

Hearing Saka played 80+ straight games and is doubt for injury this weekend is what can hamper a career when young player breaks out into the first team. How Jack Wilshere career ended up is not what should happen.

I always feel like whenever Phil has a "bad" game it is because he can't get into the game.

He has this thing that no other player really does where he always seems to show for the ball and gesture with his hands towards his feet. I feel like he needs to chill a bit more and trust the ball to come to him when it needs to. When he's not being found I think he forces it a little bit and gets himself in less effective areas (see: Kovacic x Foden cock up for Wolves opener.)

On the flip side, I do think all of our side need to play him the ball more, this season he has been looking after it really well and we all know how good he is in small spaces. Even playing it to him when he's under pressure, he'll be able to get the ball off to another player, even if it's just playing it back where it's come from- just moves the oppo's defence around a little more.

Saw this post about Foden and his development. I am glad primed Foden to play the role he is now.

Hearing Saka played 80+ straight games and is doubt for injury this weekend is what can hamper a career when young player breaks out into the first team. How Jack Wilshere career ended up is not what should happen.

There's certainly an argument that Saka has been overplayed, while Phil was managed a lot better. It's been known for some time that despite the assumption young players are fit and ready to play all the time, their bodies aren't often ready for the level of football we play.

The only issue I have is that Foden has been as much a part of the first team forward line as any player for three seasons now, and the discussion only flared up again last season because he was affected by injury so much.

He is always just a half a second away from scoring the best goal of his life. Honestly its insane how he does 99% of the work but its sometimes that last bit that gets away, I am sure he will get more consistent!
Agreed. I've also been surprised that not more attention has been paid to the way he finished his goal midweek.

The pass from Rico,whilst accurate, was tricky as it was a bouncing ball , Foden met it ,running at full pelt with his ' weaker right foot and despatched it brilliantly.
I'd struggle to think of many other players prepared to take that shot on their weaker side with such deadly accuracy.keeper had no chance, and the timing of his late run was also brilliant.

I note also that a RP L player said that Foden was "brilliant ,he was so difficult to mark and played with real intelligence...we struggled to cope with his movement"
That comment from an oppennent contrasts sharplyy with a poster on here who said Foden 'didn't play intelligently and struggled to lose his marker'

In Football,probably the highest praise you can receive is from your opponent..and in the midst of Julians brilliant,but deflected shot and Rico's encouraging performance in centre mid,perhaps the high technical ability of Foden has been overlooked....perhaps.

Fwiw.the highIght of the night for me was seeing two academy products combine so effectively for the opening goal,away in the champions league.

Last edited:
Excellent last night and he often is but if he wants to become a great player he has to dictate games far more and far more consistently.

He for me is the most gifted player we have ever produced, I want to see him become a footballing great.
Agreed with hour 2nd comment.

In my opinion Foden is already a great player.For someone who has played in a variety of roles for the past few seasons,his goals and assists record compares with any other player in the prem aside from the elite out and out strikers.

Going back to the wolves game,perhaps we can cut him some slack given the hard work he produced in the 2nd half the week before when we' were down to ten men for 45 mins.i also believe he's been carrying a knock. There is no doubt he has to improve his defensive responsibilities...in centre mid... but at the same time our fans are saying he should be dominating games.Yaya and David Silva often controlled games from centre mid...neither were pristine in their defensive responsibilities,but helped out over the years by 5 man midfields....or Nigel de Jong and the clever tracking of Dhino and the brilliant but under rated Gareth Barry...

For an attacking midfielder to dominate games the balance has to be right.and experienced covering defensive minded players have to do their job also....

Be interesting to see how Foden continues to develop during his career and if he ever gets that part of his game under Pep.

Be interesting to see how Foden continues to develop during his career and if he ever gets that part of his game under Pep.

End of Pep's prematch presser, where he talks about Phil, is interesting bot for the assessment of Phil's development and just seeing how Pep knows his players and the game.

Not good enough. James Maddison is showing how it should be done in that role, foden is hiding far too much.

6 out of 10 performance. Should and needs to be doing more. But he will get criticism and nobody will say a thing about Haaland doing another no show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.