#5 | John Stones - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Calling him world class after a good season isn't a good look for anyone who claims to know about football, Mangala had a great season at Porto before signing with us, would you have referred to Mangala as world class back then?
It's not one season.He has shown his ability over a number of years,even labelled a Rolls Royce by many,but unfortunately those periods have been interrupted by off field issues.....he was Englands best defender in the WC,and he is proving so again in this tournament.
Look around other countries,who would you rather have in your lie up?

It's not one season.He has shown his ability over a number of years,even labelled a Rolls Royce by many,but unfortunately those periods have been interrupted by off field issues.....he was Englands best defender in the WC,and he is proving so again in this tournament.
Look around other countries,who would you rather have in your lie up?
If an extended multi-year period of excellent play is the qualifying metric for "world class" - then, for me, John Stones, as good as he has been last year, doesn't merit the accolade. In recent years Stones has been prone to lapses of concentration resulting in extremely costly, entirely avoidable errors; this undermined his performances to the extent that he fell out of favor and wasn't a first choice starter.

Kudo's to Stones for almost entirely eliminating these sorts of errors from his game.
===
If however - the criterion for "world class" is outstanding play over the course of last season - then Stones is "world class."
===
For me, the term "world class" is mostly about last season - and I would rate Stones as "world class."

Last edited:
If an extended multi-year period of excellent play is the qualifying metric for "world class" - then, for me, John Stones, as good as he has been last year, doesn't merit the accolade. In recent years Stones has been prone to lapses of concentration resulting in extremely costly, entirely avoidable errors; this undermined his performances to the extent that he fell out of favor and wasn't a first choice starter.

Kudo's to Stones for almost entirely eliminating these sorts of errors from his game.
===
If however - the criterion for "world class" is outstanding play over the course of last season - then Stones is "world class."
===
For me, the term "world class" is mostly about last season - and I would rate Stones as "world class."
It’s a lot more straight forward for me.
If I could choose a CB pairing out of every player in the world in that position then it would be Stones and Dias for me. Everyday of the week and twice on a Sunday.

Mangala never had all the attributes that makes a WC CB, Stones always has and over the last 12 months for both City and England he’s shown it.
You can take your not a good look comment and shove it up your arse, thanks.

I don't know of many attackers who see the name Stones and start trembling, if anything he is always seen as the weak link, rating him as world class is a joke but let's get behind him anyway, he is a blue after all.

I don't know of many attackers who see the name Stones and start trembling, if anything he is always seen as the weak link, rating him as world class is a joke but let's get behind him anyway, he is a blue after all.
You're entitled to your opinion of Stones - it's subjective - no one is wrong.

At the same time, you seem to dismiss those who claim Stones is world class as simply rooting for the shirt.

On this last point, you are clearly mistaken.

Stones is in the PFA team of the year - and for good reason.

I don’t want them to tremble, I want them to walk off the pitch after 90 mins having not scored and more often than not that’s the case.

It’s a lot more straight forward for me.
If I could choose a CB pairing out of every player in the world in that position then it would be Stones and Dias for me. Everyday of the week and twice on a Sunday.
Dias and a player not to be mentioned on these forums lest drawing the ire of all and sundry for me :-)... Dias/Stones a close second.

Calling him world class after a good season isn't a good look for anyone who claims to know about football, Mangala had a great season at Porto before signing with us, would you have referred to Mangala as world class back then?
Hardly one good seoson. This is the same form he showed in the centurions seaosn before he was injured and hes done it in patches in between.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.