#5 | John Stones - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really like discussing whether a player is world class or not, I think it generally lacks nuance and often people have too differing definitions on what world class is and isn't.

What I (and many others) would say, is Stones is definitely playing at a very high level that any team in the world would be happy with.

One thing very noticeable about John the last year is just how unnoticeable he can be. Its becoming clear to me at least - City and England are very rarely troubled on his side of the defence. That’s partly due to Kyle but also with John too and his positioning & game intelligence. He generally doesn’t have to make last ditch challenges (cue Maldini quote). That’s not quite true on Maguire/Dias’ side and why they may get the plaudits, but for me Stones has been the better performer in both teams.

After the season he has had can you imagine if it all comes down to Stones vs Laporte on a set piece to decide the Final.

Mangala had a great season at Porto before signing with us, would you have referred to Mangala as world class back then?

No because it was at Porto. If everyone who looks good in Liga NOS is world class then I've got some good news for Nuno Esperito Santo.

And nobody starts trembling at the names of any defenders. He's not fucking Beetlejuice.

A lot of varying factors decide whether a player is world class or not, and for me if John Stones reproduces last season or better this coming season then I truly believe he should be considered ‘World Class’, showing consistency over a number of years is the key. People where talking Ballon d’or for Ruben should we of won the CL which I find incredible, I’m more than sure having JS next to him allowed him to settle quickly & play his best football and he would be the first to credit him for that. If England win the Euros then that’s another tick, and had we won the CL he could’ve ended the season with 4 winners medals (ifs & butts I know) & still gone under the radar, which I feel is the best place for him to be, let others take the plaudits

Wouldn’t say he was world class but had a great season but will always be crucified for any mistakes.

Wouldn’t say he was world class but had a great season but will always be crucified for any mistakes.
I think he gets in any 11 in the Prem,and id say he very much does the same in this Euro tournament.
How many centre backs would you choose ahead of him? I think the answer suggests he is world class.

I agree about mistakes,it's something that's exaggerated but unfortunately,and unfairly,will probably always haunt his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.