#5 | John Stones - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stones was great tonight, and I’ve been really impressed with his attitude recently

It seems like he (finally) recognises he has a point to prove, and you can see his motivation to fight for his place (or at least his reputation)

It will no doubt be difficult for him to get his starting place back in this team, with Ruben and Laporte around. He may well leave next summer. But in any case, this is the type of assured performance that will benefit his career, and that will keep a healthy competition for places in our defence.

I must admit, I thought we’d need to go through something of a “transition period” for our new defenders, but 3 clean sheets in a row, and even Stones being kept on his toes to perform... it’s been a good summer of transfer business

A couple more games like last night and maybe we can prise Garcia from Pep and get rid of him in Jan. It's wrong that Garcia is ahead of him imo and I hope tonight proved that to Pep.

A couple more games like last night and maybe we can prise Garcia from Pep and get rid of him in Jan. It's wrong that Garcia is ahead of him imo and I hope tonight proved that to Pep.
Maybe/Hopefully Garcia isn't ahead of him,and it was just a fitness thing.

really don't rate Garcia. Stones and Ake last night mile ahead of Garcia.
Being realistic you would be hoping that the more mature and experienced Stones and Ake would be well ahead of Garcia.
I think Pep made a rod for Garcias back.
Playing him in important champions league games while the player was insisting that he wanted to go back to Barcelona never made any sense.
It has alienated Garcia from the supporters and luckily for him there is no one present at our matches.
Now Pep appears to be playing Stones ahead of Garcia.
Why the change?
If he is behing Stones and Ake now then the right thing to do is let him go. Peps experiment/obsession has failed.
I am sure that the 2 youth centre halves can step in if we have an injury situation.

I think Pep made a rod for Garcias back.
Playing him in important champions league games while the player was insisting that he wanted to go back to Barcelona never made any sense.
It has alienated Garcia from the supporters and luckily for him there is no one present at our matches.

I know this isn't the Garcia thread but I have to say that I agree completely here.

Pep effectively pulled a Brendan Rodgers and made the situation public when it was in nobody's best interest to do so. I had to correct my brother the other day when he mentioned that Garcia was done the second he came out and said he wanted to leave because he never actually did that.

And I don't get it because since then supporters have turned on Eric (I've seen him referred to as a twat or something similar on here and he's generally just getting slagged off), supporters are pissed off that he's still getting games and Pep is now getting criticism because he's the one who has continued to pick him. It's been really, really badly handled by the manager, in my opinion.

All that being said, I'm fully with those who don't see the point of selecting him. Stones is currently the better player. If he's not fit then we've got three other senior centrebacks and after that we've got Taylor Harwood-Bellis and Fernandinho, who I actually thought was decent most of the time last season in that position but I seem to be in the minority there.

There is still a player in Stones who could be an excellent option if he remains fit and in a decent state of mind so I'd much rather Eric's opportunities go his way instead.

A big change in approach. John Stones was more aware and commited plus took a touch less that made al the difference. He looked more mature and I hope he has sorted out his personal life.

Playing alongside Ake who reads the game well and provides cover also helped, as opposed to Otta who was a good servant but not without rushes of blood to the head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.