#5 | John Stones - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
A good lesson on why you should never write a player off- I'd never have guessed, back when he looked finished here, that he'd be pocketing Cristiano Ronaldo in 2021 after several months of being one of the world's best defenders.

We just seem a more fluid side with Stones playing, Stones & Diaz is the best partnership

Dias is quality and Stones makes him look better.

Stones the best CB at the club.

We just seem a more fluid side with Stones playing, Stones & Diaz is the best partnership
Stones is the best at bringing the ball out and playing killer passes. He always wants to move forward. I think Laporte is excellent but not as dynamic as Stones during transition. Stones is vital for the whole team's shape.

Dias is quality and Stones makes him look better.

Stones the best CB at the club.
I've always luved John's game and think he deserves a ton of credit on how he has come back from injuries and off the field difficulties and am buzzing that we have the best CH partnership (plus Eric) in the league.

However, ever since Ruben has been here our CH play has improved immeasurably. Stones is a class player, but he's not the dominant CH in the club, he can play his normal game knowing he has the "rock" beside him.

I've always luved John's game and think he deserves a ton of credit on how he has come back from injuries and off the field difficulties and am buzzing that we have the best CH partnership (plus Eric) in the league.

However, ever since Ruben has been here our CH play has improved immeasurably. Stones is a class player, but he's not the dominant CH in the club, he can play his normal game knowing he has the "rock" beside him.
This and this again. Aside from Stonesy’s torrid first few months (a year?), he’s been absolutely top drawer BUT…

There’s always been a pattern. Stones excelled with Kompany beside him, and is doing so with Dias.

Laporte also excelled alongside Kompany, and generally does too with Dias (though not to John’s standard).

Otamendi was another Laporte/Stones. Only ever at his best with VK alongside him.

Some CBs tend only to be their best selves with a leader, a rock, next to them. We’re extremely lucky to have both Stones and Dias - though Dias could function at this level without the other, I doubt Stones can.

It’s a strange dynamic really. Long may the Dias/Stones partnership reign. Incredible players and I’m chuffed for John after his really difficult start. He’s been patient this season off the back of the Euros, then come straight in and shown everyone why he should be the No. 1 partner to Dias when fit.

Last thing… I met him at a club event a couple of years back. Total gentleman, and a well-educated and well-spoken lad to boot. We struck gold all round.

I thought when he played alongside Laporte against Bruges he seemed to be demonstrating a bit more leadership than usual... Perhaps he's been learning from Dias (or perhaps Laporte just needed a bit of encouragement after the Palace game). No doubt he's happy to have a leader beside him, but it's nice to get a glimpse that maybe he can do it when he needs to too.

He's always been talented but it's been about developing consistency and resilience and all those non-footballing skills that change a player from promising to great. Can't begin to say how happy I am for him that it's all come together and he's having this extended period of incredible form that's not hindered by his occasional injuries or time on the bench.

We're so lucky with our CB situation in that any combination of the 4 we have is really good. But our best pairing has got to be Stones and Dias.

Stones is the best at bringing the ball out and playing killer passes. He always wants to move forward. I think Laporte is excellent but not as dynamic as Stones during transition. Stones is vital for the whole team's shape.

If we're going solely on the best pairing in possession then it's Stones and Laporte. But Laporte's upside with the ball isn't worth as much as Dias's leadership and defensive acumen. And Dias really isn't bad on the ball either

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.