5 | John Stones - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think in this case Stones is overlooked because of the team he was on. So many big players. Whereas on a worse team he probably stands out more to the voters?

Regardless, I always feel like defenders should have their own awards as they always get overlooked in these more general awards.

And although Joško has gotten a lot of cra@p for not being worthy, I think he deserves the honors. However, I do wonder if part of the reason he is there is he had some big goals last year…which isn’t really why a defender should be on the list!

To clarify my point - the Ballon D'or is all about reputation. It's fucking lazy voting done by journalists who clearly don't watch enough games to comment properly. Kim had a reputation and got a move to Bayern. Gvardiol similarly. They've thrown a fair few in for World Cup performances, including the winner of course, but it shows that Stones' performances aren't generating the headlines and plaudits he deserves. I don't think England fans would be too concerned if Stones was missing from a game - not as much as they should be. Rodri now gets his plaudits, but whilst we lost three games without him in the side - through his fault remember - a fully fit Stones would have made a difference. He's a winner, a big game player and a phenomenal talent. Ask yourself how many times you've seen a CB play a role where they step up into midfield to help run the game and do it like it's effortless.

Calling me, calling me!!! ;-)

John Boy is being interviewed on Football Focus today. I’ve set the video (or whatever the whatchamacallit is these days) to record it so I don’t miss it!! And so I can watch it more than once.

Yes at last they are recognising that John Boy is a great footballer. :-)

To clarify my point - the Ballon D'or is all about reputation. It's fucking lazy voting done by journalists who clearly don't watch enough games to comment properly. Kim had a reputation and got a move to Bayern. Gvardiol similarly. They've thrown a fair few in for World Cup performances, including the winner of course, but it shows that Stones' performances aren't generating the headlines and plaudits he deserves. I don't think England fans would be too concerned if Stones was missing from a game - not as much as they should be. Rodri now gets his plaudits, but whilst we lost three games without him in the side - through his fault remember - a fully fit Stones would have made a difference. He's a winner, a big game player and a phenomenal talent. Ask yourself how many times you've seen a CB play a role where they step up into midfield to help run the game and do it like it's effortless.
gvardiol was literally the only defender nominated for the 2022 kopa trophy and that was his first season in germany.

he then had an even better season and fully deserved his ballon d’or nomination.

He may well have deserved it but he's nowhere near Stones yet who should also have beeen in there.
i didn’t say stones didn’t deserve it, i just find it fascinating that so many people (in general, not just here) have a problem with gvardiol’s nomination when there are players like saka, odegaard and bellingham on that list.

they didn’t win anything last season, nothing, zero, nada, niente.

i watched all of them bottle everything last season and yet they’re nominated.
bayern couldn’t beat leipzig last season, leipzig’s win in münchen in may served the league title on the platter for dortmund, they failed miserably. german cup qf, leipzig destroyed dortmund, guess who played great? hint: it wasn’t bellingham.

stones absolutely deserved to be nominated, but so did joško.

i didn’t say stones didn’t deserve it, i just find it fascinating that so many people (in general, not just here) have a problem with gvardiol’s nomination when there are players like saka, odegaard and bellingham on that list.

they didn’t win anything last season, nothing, zero, nada, niente.

i watched all of them bottle everything last season and yet they’re nominated.
bayern couldn’t beat leipzig last season, leipzig’s win in münchen in may served the league title on the platter for dortmund, they failed miserably. german cup qf, leipzig destroyed dortmund, guess who played great? hint: it wasn’t bellingham.

stones absolutely deserved to be nominated, but so did joško.

Gvardiol is a fantastic young talent, who already looks the part with City and I'm convinced will become one of the best. He is possibly the only other defender I think could play as comfortably as Stones in the middle of the park too. Top 30 in the world, sure. Better than Dias and Stones...nope! Let's remember those two won the treble. Stones completed the most dribbles in a CL final since Messi...you wouldn't expect that from someone who has played at CB for 99% of their career. Kim and Gvardiol both have a lot of hype around them, and I'm sure the voters went with that over actually watching them.

Gvardiol is a fantastic young talent, who already looks the part with City and I'm convinced will become one of the best. He is possibly the only other defender I think could play as comfortably as Stones in the middle of the park too. Top 30 in the world, sure. Better than Dias and Stones...nope! Let's remember those two won the treble. Stones completed the most dribbles in a CL final since Messi...you wouldn't expect that from someone who has played at CB for 99% of their career. Kim and Gvardiol both have a lot of hype around them, and I'm sure the voters went with that over actually watching them.
so gvardiol was just hype but saka, odegaard and bellingham nominations for 2022/23 season are ok? rhetorical question…

so gvardiol was just hype but saka, odegaard and bellingham nominations for 2022/23 season are ok? rhetorical question…

You don't need to fan boy Gvardiol mate, he made the list. Frame it and enjoy! He's an excellent player, but I'm talking about John Stones and when you look at the other defenders in there, it's a joke they're above him. Simple as that. I'm not saying Gvardiol doesn't merit being on the list, you could argue plenty on there are overhyped.

You don't need to fan boy Gvardiol mate, he made the list. Frame it and enjoy! He's an excellent player, but I'm talking about John Stones and when you look at the other defenders in there, it's a joke they're above him. Simple as that. I'm not saying Gvardiol doesn't merit being on the list, you could argue plenty on there are overhyped.
don’t patronize me, mate.

i wasn’t fangirling, i was stating facts.
i love facts, you love condescension.

nice talking to you buddy…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.