5 | John Stones - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stones in a similar position to Walker last year where Pep settled on a line up/system for the run in and stuck with it.

Pep is a fucking genius and I'm constantly amazed how he comes up with different solutions.

Akanji’s pace is a bonus but that’s not the reason. The reason is Gvardiol is now our left winger in possession. So if you picture the gap that leaves at left back, our left centre back has to shuffle over and basically play as a left back in possession. Stones can’t do that, which is why Ake was doing it pre-injury and then Akanji doing it since. Then Dias starts as the other CB for the leadership as he’s kind of the glue back there. This is the only reason Stones isn’t playing. The new role for Gvardiol is not to get the best out of Gvardiol, it’s to get the best out of Foden - it allows him to move from the left and into the middle, whilst still having Rodri AND Kovacic for control. So as of right now, Stones doesn’t really fit into this particular tactic that we’re playing, or at least not as well as others. Pep just picks the best players for what he wants to do. Makes sense really.
Good analysis.
And by the time our opponents source this tactics out, Pep would have moved on to something new.

Stones in a similar position to Walker last year where Pep settled on a line up/system for the run in and stuck with it.

Pep is a fucking genius and I'm constantly amazed how he comes up with different solutions.

I personally think he's been put on the naughty step for playing those 2 England games back to back and getting injured. Bit of that and Kovacic playing more often means we don't need him stepping into midfield as much.

People got carried away last season thinking Stones is almost a top midfielder. He isn't. He's a CB who can play next to Rodri. Credit to him for being versatile. But Kovacic, unsurprisingly, is a much more natural fit next to Rodri.

Maybe Stones should play instead of Dias. But Dias is much more of a leader, so there is that too.

Let's hope Stones is more available next season. Pep will be happy to have him in top form.

Hope we see more of him again next season. Imperious player on his day.

Worried about Southgate overplaying him in the Euros though (and the two warm up friendlies before that) when what he really needs is a proper rest and a couple of months in the ice chamber.

Hope we see more of him again next season. Imperious player on his day.

Worried about Southgate overplaying him in the Euros though (and the two warm up friendlies before that) when what he really needs is a proper rest and a couple of months in the ice chamber.

He didn't play many minutes to need a rest. I think Stones is more likely to stay fit if he plays every week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.