5 | John Stones - 2024/25

Had an interesting debate today about Stones.

When talking of all time Premier League XI central defenders, I would imagine on average he would be around 7th/8th choice in nominations, if that,

The usual elite ones would be Terry, Ferdinand, Vidic, Campbell and then the next ones mentioned would be Stam, Van Dijk, Kompany, even Carvalho but never Stones.

When you compare his career to what the majority would consider the top two, Terry and Ferdinand it is baffling how he isn’t mentioned even near this list.

LEAGUE TITLES
Stones - 6
Ferdinand - 6
Terry - 5

DOMESTIC CUPS
Terry - 8
Stones - 4
Ferdinand - 2

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE
All 1

ENGLAND CAPS
Ferdinand - 81
Stones - 79
Terry - 78

ENGLAND SUCCESS
Stones - 2 x Euro finals
Ferdinand and Terry - QF’s

TREBLE WINNER
Stones - 1
Ferdinand and Terry - 0

DOMESTIC TREBLE
Stones - 1
Ferdinand and Terry - 0

Is it simply his injury record that doesn’t give him the plaudits or is it just he hasn’t got the PR like the other two?

There is a high chances Stones could surpass both in all success on paper but I still don’t think he would even come into the debate if they were picking a 40th anniversary team in 2033.
I think we all know that the London-centric press will always go for players like camelgob and the leader, racist, adulterer over City players.

A lad from Barnsley, playing for City will always play second fiddle to Londoners - except to @Eccles Blue, of course.

;+)

It depends what your idea of a strong personality is, also what you think effective leadership is. There are some in the Leadership group who should not be in it over Stones. Appreciate there is a particular view of that in footbal.

He is hugely influential on the pitch just not by pointing and shouting. By all accounts popular at the club. He understands Pep ball better than most.

The few times I have seen him as Captain I thought he was class, in CL group matches where the youngsters play. I remember in particular him insisting Kalvin Phillips take a penalty (can’t remember which) That mattered.

I suspect that ultimately he doesn’t want it and his teammates know that.

The best leaders are those who don’t seek it.
Gündoğan, de Bruyne, Dias, Rodri, Walker and maybe others are all ahead of John in terms of captaincy material, and as the captains group is only five strong, I doubt we’ll see him in it.

It's gone very quiet on the John Boy scene, he must be ok or we would have heard. Hope he doesn't play tomorrow (or whenever England play) so he doesn't get injured and comes back refreshed and ready to go for us. :-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.