5 | John Stones - 2024/25

Had an interesting debate today about Stones.

When talking of all time Premier League XI central defenders, I would imagine on average he would be around 7th/8th choice in nominations, if that,

The usual elite ones would be Terry, Ferdinand, Vidic, Campbell and then the next ones mentioned would be Stam, Van Dijk, Kompany, even Carvalho but never Stones.

When you compare his career to what the majority would consider the top two, Terry and Ferdinand it is baffling how he isn’t mentioned even near this list.

LEAGUE TITLES
Stones - 6
Ferdinand - 6
Terry - 5

DOMESTIC CUPS
Terry - 8
Stones - 4
Ferdinand - 2

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE
All 1

ENGLAND CAPS
Ferdinand - 81
Stones - 79
Terry - 78

ENGLAND SUCCESS
Stones - 2 x Euro finals
Ferdinand and Terry - QF’s

TREBLE WINNER
Stones - 1
Ferdinand and Terry - 0

DOMESTIC TREBLE
Stones - 1
Ferdinand and Terry - 0

Is it simply his injury record that doesn’t give him the plaudits or is it just he hasn’t got the PR like the other two?

There is a high chances Stones could surpass both in all success on paper but I still don’t think he would even come into the debate if they were picking a 40th anniversary team in 2033.

John has more than 4 Domestic cups right?

4 league?
2 FA

I don’t know if it’s true people wouldn’t put him in all time PL XL. TBH the thing that would seal it is a trophy with England.

I always think he is just too classy as a player, no need for him to be all dramatically defendery which lots of people like in a defender. He doesn’t need to do that as can just nick the ball off someone and make it look so elegant.

The mistake thing just irritates me. When did that last happen? Years and years ago. And even then not much was always over blown.

4 league?
2 FA

I don’t know if it’s true people wouldn’t put him in all time PL XL. TBH the thing that would seal it is a trophy with England.

I always think he is just too classy as a player, no need for him to be all dramatically defendery which lots of people like in a defender. He doesn’t need to do that as can just nick the ball off someone and make it look so elegant.

The mistake thing just irritates me. When did that last happen? Years and years ago. And even then not much was always over blown.

He isn't in the leadership group for club or country and is fairly quiet in terms of PR which doesn't help his cause. But he has a huge personality and as I said in my previous post, in time, he will be recognised.

The other CB choices in a PL 11 tend to be captains who have "led" their sides and therefore get extra plaudits.

Mr Stones doesn’t make a fuss. Just gets on with the job in hand, playing football, no histrionics, no falling on the floor writhing around because a butterfly pushed him over, just plain old fashioned but memorable football!
No publicity sharks pushing his face in front of the camera. He lives a private life privately.
He would be the best Captain this country has ever had and would share the City Captain accolades with VK and Dunnie and Tony Book
:-)

Stones isn't a completely strong personality which is not a slight in itself but going off recent City Captains that quality tends to get the arm band

Last edited:
Please go away. You’ve had your ‘fun’ in being a WUM on the welcoming Gundog back thread. Don’t start again here.
Thank you.
I am not on the wind up on this. I have actually defended Stones over the years on this forum too especially during his earlier days under Pep. But he isn't captain material for me and the stronger types (Kompany, Fernandinho, Gundogan, Walker, De Bruyne to some degree and now Dias) tends to get picked for that. As I mentioned it is not a slight at all. As it been mentioned a few pages up he isn't part of the leadership group for club and country. Nothing wrong with his ability.

Last edited:

4 league?
2 FA

Injuries, simply that, they have stopped him becoming a great.

Against Inter in the UCL final he was magnificent, World Class but sadly last season constant injuries set him back badly.

He simply can't put in a run of games that makes the neutral fan notice him.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.