#6 | Nathan Aké - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said at the time that spending 40 million on him to effectively be a back up was ridiculous and it's proving to be. We had Laporte Stones and an incoming Dias, you just don't need another 40 million CB. The 4th choice should be an academy prospect.
That isn’t strictly true though. We didn’t have Stones. At the time of buying Ake, Stones was history and set to be sold. Dias was supposed to be the right-sided CB alongside Laporte, with Garcia the 2nd choice after Dias and Ake the 2nd choice after Laporte. What changed was Garcia deciding to leave, Stones then having to stay, and Stones then turning it around so well that it pushed Laporte down into back up left-sided CB with Dias moving to that side as 1st choice. What that meant for Ake is that he became 3rd choice in his position through pure misfortune really. He knew he was 2nd choice from the off but that changed overnight with Garcia’s decision and dramatically reduced his minutes. To make things worse he also got injury after injury.

You said the 4th choice should be an academy prospect. It was! It was going to be Laporte, Dias, Ake, Garcia. Stones was out of the door.

I see Ake is no one for the boo boys.. For me Ruben caused that goal yesterday by totally putting Ederson off when he got his feet in a tangle.

what are you on about, Ruben clearly realized if it hit him it was an og for sure. He was dropping back to cover the cross, because any idiot cb could show son the outside rather than let him cut in,right?

what are you on about, Ruben clearly realized if it hit him it was an og for sure. He was dropping back to cover the cross, because any idiot cb could show son the outside rather than let him cut in,right?
Mate Ruben clearly had no control of his legs! To suggest he pulled his leg back on purpose is hard to believe. But that’s your view so you are entitled to it

I think that Ake might have decided to show Son inside because Mendy was right there. Mendy - unfathomably - didn't help Ake and continued deep into the box. Slight mistake for Ake - huge mistake for Mendy.

Put another way - with Mendy coming in centrally - was it best to show Son outside and then maybe be beaten - and if beaten no help. Or to show Son inside with Mendy right there to cover in case you're beaten. Meanwhile, Mendy sails right on by oblivious to proceedings.

Responsible for all 3 we let in tonight. Cup defender at best and always a liability.

His understanding with Zinchenko was understandably shaky and that contributed to two of the goals. Really don't know how he can be blamed for the second goal though, when our midfield let Olmo jog forward and cross under zero pressure

We've conceded 19 goals in the 13 games he's started. Nearly 1.5 goals a game. That includes 5 against Leicester, 3 against Newcastle and 3 here.

Our overall record this and last season is about 0.65 a game.

I do like him, but it seems clear to me he doesn't fit in yet. As others have mentioned, communication with Zinchenko in particular is poor and that side of defence does look very small when they're together.

At the end of the day he's the 4th choice CB...he's not going to be world class. He'll probably be a lot better after the EFL cup games with more football under his belt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.