6 | Nathan Ake - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you really see anyone coming in to challenge him for that position? It would take some player to remove him. A good back up is required nevertheless. Pep will decide in the Summer. The great thing is he can slot into the left side of the centre of defence.

It would be a complete waste of resources paying a big fee for someone to come in mate imo. Maybe a Grimaldo type signing on a free but if we get Gvardiol then he could play LB if needed at times as well?

His development over the last 12-18 months has been amazing.

I've never doubted his quality as a defender. He's great in the air and strong in the tackle, and I'll never forget how much he dug in deep away vs. Atletico in the Champions League last season. But his ability with the ball was always a bit suspect. He was always great as an option off the bench when we were under pressure, but I felt like whenever he started games he slowed us down as a team. He was always dithering about at the back, nervous, uncertain of where to pass it. I wanted to like him more because of that video of him playing the piano, which was really sweet, but I didn't see any signs that he would improve enough to hold down a place.

Fast forward 12 months and he's the only defender with a guaranteed starting spot. He's so, so much better with the ball now, way more decisive and speedy with his passing, happy to play at CB, LB, and even drop into the middle, has a great relationship with Jack down the left. And I've noticed in recent weeks that he's not afraid to get forward, which was the one thing left that was holding him back. At Bristol in the week he got forward to play a part in creating the second goal, he was overlapping on a few occasions against Newcastle today, and in the second half he would have been in behind if Jack had just found that reverse ball.

Much improved. A great signing.
Agree with every word. That 20 mins away to Athletico must go down as one of the best City cameos ever. He was awesome.
It’s not just everything you mention but he seems such a genuine and nice guy every time I’ve heard him,

if we really would have gotten the 50mio for him in the summer i think no one would have said anything. luckily that fell through. great player and leader. him ruben and rodri always give it all. i dont think we are playing great at the moment and those 3 are keeping it together back there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.