7 | Joao Cancelo - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beyond the mostly beautiful football, one further thing I have loved about the Pep era is the uncompromising approach to how players are expected to behave and what characteristics they are expected to display.

That modern footballers earn obscene amounts of money is just a reality that we accept these days (and yes I know they are not the only ones). As a result I've always thought that the minimum expectation for this is absolute and total professionalism in doing a job most of us would kill to do. However the examples of players taking the piss and taking the money whilst looking out exclusively for themselves, acting as primma donnas and disrespecting their clubs, colleagues and most importantly the fans, are legion. We've had a few ourselves over the years. But in the Pep era we have enforced a code that, irrespective of who you are, you work and run for the team, you play whatever part is necessary for the team, you do the right thing by your teammates whether it suits or not, you play the style that the manager has developed and the club wishes to implement. Though there is always some elasticity in this, fundamentally it is the culture of the club and players need to adhere to it. In doing all these things for the manager and the team, you indirectly show respect to the broader club and by implication to the fans too. You may still be a multi millionaire but you are showing you have a degree of humility and are willing to be part of something bigger than your own ego.

Some people may see this all simply as excessive control freakery on Pep's part but I like the ethos and hope we can retain it beyond Pep.

So, if Cancelo has done even half of the things that are being claimed then, irrespective of how good he is when on form, good riddance to him. He's just one (of numerous) adverts for some of the things wrong with the game.
Absolutely bang on , good riddance

While it's being stated that Cancelo's orchestrated his exit, I think Pep's bizzare line up at Stamford Bridge and hooking him off at half time was a bit harsh.

Beyond the mostly beautiful football, one further thing I have loved about the Pep era is the uncompromising approach to how players are expected to behave and what characteristics they are expected to display.

That modern footballers earn obscene amounts of money is just a reality that we accept these days (and yes I know they are not the only ones). As a result I've always thought that the minimum expectation for this is absolute and total professionalism in doing a job most of us would kill to do. However the examples of players taking the piss and taking the money whilst looking out exclusively for themselves, acting as primma donnas and disrespecting their clubs, colleagues and most importantly the fans, are legion. We've had a few ourselves over the years. But in the Pep era we have enforced a code that, irrespective of who you are, you work and run for the team, you play whatever part is necessary for the team, you do the right thing by your teammates whether it suits or not, you play the style that the manager has developed and the club wishes to implement. Though there is always some elasticity in this, fundamentally it is the culture of the club and players need to adhere to it. In doing all these things for the manager and the team, you indirectly show respect to the broader club and by implication to the fans too. You may still be a multi millionaire but you are showing you have a degree of humility and are willing to be part of something bigger than your own ego.

Some people may see this all simply as excessive control freakery on Pep's part but I like the ethos and hope we can retain it beyond Pep.

So, if Cancelo has done even half of the things that are being claimed then, irrespective of how good he is when on form, good riddance to him. He's just one (of numerous) adverts for some of the things wrong with the game.
Good post, well written. If the gossips are even half accurate then the other natural conclusion is that Phil Foden is in the last chance saloon at City. Hopefully, Phil will bounce back to fulfill his potential.

It’s a bit sad that the only PR City insiders seem to generate is negative. Cancelo’s loss of form and game time could have justified the loan move without people running to the media.

So with Cancelo gone, and barnardo potentially following a similar path if reports are to be believed, who should city sign? Should they sign someone?

Antonee Robinson had been tipped as the most likely but I would rather see this as a loan deal. I think he is very good, but is he Man City quality? Get him on loan until the summer with an option to buy if he performs well. Let's face it, at the minute if we sign somebody who is of a quality like robinson/ait-nouri, we would still be starting Ake over them, surely? But we do need more depth at left back I'm just not sure splashing £30m + on a second rate left back is wise. Plus, other clubs know we will be desperate and will use that to their advantage to ask for more, surely it's best to get a loan deal or recall one of our academy youngsters like JWE?

Half arsed in training, gobbing off to all and sundry, leaving his foot in.

All orchestrated to achieve his desired exit.

Pure poison.
That’ll be Peps body language comment covered then. Seems this has been an issue for some time now. Glad he’s gone the little boceta!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.