7 | Joao Cancelo - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess by the end of 2017 we did. But we certainly weren't reminiscing about a previous makehift.

I was thinking mostly of the summer of 2017.

Still funny though and I get the point I'm just a terrible pedant.
I guess in 2017 we could experience the giddy heights of being nostalgic for a previous actual full back (who still wasn't good enough for Pep)!

Reactions: kun
I think this is possibly conflating two separate incidents. There was the alleged hard tackle on Phil by Cancelo in training, which resulted in a bust up between them and both getting a dressing down from Pep (which Phil accepted but JC didn't).

Then there was a separate bust up between Cancelo and Pep on the training pitch, when JC threw the ball at Pep, and Phil and Dias then took on Cancelo (presumably intervening on Pep's behalf).

It's all rumour but we might as well keep it as straight as possible.
Thanks for clearing it up. Like I said, we all sensed something wasn't right with our squad, but until yesterday I had absolutely no idea all this had been going on.

If true, good riddance to Cancelo...

When we get an injury and have no left back or Cancelo sticks a fantastic cross in against us in the champions league will Pep still tell us this is the right decision

I would say yes... definitely.

Cancelo is a bad apple. Getting him out stops the rot spreading.

Making positive changes for the long term is infinitely more important than holding onto a very average player just in case he puts in a good cross in a match that may or may not even happen.

Cancelo was never particularly good imo, and the mere suggestion that he was disruptive leads me to believe that his leaving is a good thing for City.

Surprised so many think this is a bad decision.
If you have a bad apple you get rid asap well I do.
Personally I think it is probably the least bad decision, which does not make it a good thing.
Cancelo at his best was a fabulous player for us in a position we are not strong.
His form was somewhat mercurial and his lows were pretty low.
I suspect to succeed in football you have to have a pretty high level of self regard and managing players in a team sport, when they have to subsume their ego's to the betterment of the team is not easy.
I don't doubt that bust ups in training are not that rare but I think the club appears well run and the decision was not knee jerk . A poor outcome leaving us without a potentially very good player but maybe the least bad outcome in the circumstances of having a very dissatisfied player.

Our squad is too small to cope with defensive injuries, particularly at full back.

He should either have been fined and told to get on with his job here til summer, or replaced.

We‘ve weakened ourselves here.
Tolerating a mard arse who challenges management is weakening the squad, that would breed enduring problems. Right thing was to get rid

When we get an injury and have no left back or Cancelo sticks a fantastic cross in against us in the champions league will Pep still tell us this is the right decision

100% yes he will.

You’re thinking in a very short-termist way about this season. Our team has done incredibly well for over a decade now because the management are always thinking years ahead. Pep is thinking about the bigger picture. His authority and team harmony is way more important than any one trophy or one player ever will be.

Nedum at our recent supporters club meeting summed it up perfectly. He has played alongside individuals not happy.

If you have a player in the side trying to sabotage the tactics deliberately it is not good for the squad. If you have a player who creates more fuss being out the side that’s a real issue to deal with.

As good as the player is technically they have to be moved on for the good of the overall squad.

Personally I think it is probably the least bad decision, which does not make it a good thing.
Cancelo at his best was a fabulous player for us in a position we are not strong.
His form was somewhat mercurial and his lows were pretty low.
I suspect to succeed in football you have to have a pretty high level of self regard and managing players in a team sport, when they have to subsume their ego's to the betterment of the team is not easy.
I don't doubt that bust ups in training are not that rare but I think the club appears well run and the decision was not knee jerk . A poor outcome leaving us without a potentially very good player but maybe the least bad outcome in the circumstances of having a very dissatisfied player.
This seems like an excellent summation. It's possible Cancelo already had previous and this was the final straw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.