7 | Joao Cancelo - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
The issue is under Pep is that he makes players look good for a while in unfamiliar positions.

Kolarov at CB, Delph at LB, Zinchenko at LB, Cancelo at LB.

Eventually you get found out which isn’t surprising.

Stones at RB will be next.

I’ve backed him all the way. Many have forgotten how pivotal he was in 20/21 when he and Gundo were the main catalysts in our excellent season. Him moving into the midfield that season was something completely out of the ordinary and a sight to behold. I will never forget what he delivered that year.

Unfortunately, he is nowhere near those levels now and is currently driving me round the fucking twist. I don’t know whether it’s the upcoming World Cup, the lack of competition for his place, or something else entirely, but he looks pedestrian out there. I will forgive the odd defensive mistake as nobody is perfect, but there is a continued lack of urgency to his game. It’s like his balls have been chopped off. I would currently liken him to a LB version of Mahrez…odd moments of genius but not anywhere enough to gloss over the meh.
Agree totally. Both technically gifted wouldn’t trust either in big moments. Wouldn’t be bothered if either left.

KDB and probably Haaland aside, Cancelo is the only City player who would make a world best XI in 2022, far ahead of the other City defenders. And this is the same player many think should be benched for not being good enough in principle. Cluelessness doesn't begin to describe the attitude many show toward Cancelo. Cluelessness and irrational hatred. Guy is always available, plays at RB, plays at LB, helps in all phases of the game, gives his all. Not good enough!

Last edited:
KDB and probably Haaland aside, Cancelo is the only City player who would make a world best XI in 2022, far ahead of the other City defenders. And this is the same player many think should be benched for not being good enough. Cluelessness doesn't begin to describe the attitude many show toward Cancelo. Cluelessness and irrational hatred. Cheat fans.
Says more about the lack of decent left backs than how good an actual defender he is. Taking the blue tinted specs off Robertson is a miles better defender than him and would actually add more in attack for our team because without a winger capable of beating his man on the outside( God knows what’s happened to the burst of pace Foden had developed due to that sprint coach) he’d provide width and help Grealish miles more than Cancelo does.

Says more about the lack of decent left backs than how good an actual defender he is. Taking the blue tinted specs off Robertson is a miles better defender than him and would actually add more in attack for our team because without a winger capable of beating his man on the outside( God knows what’s happened to the burst of pace Foden had developed due to that sprint coach) he’d provide width and help Grealish miles more than Cancelo does.

If we had him pep wouldn’t have him overlapping he’d have him inside

Could you tell us the defensive stats which show that Robertson was/is miles better? I cited stats in the Cucurella thread which showed that Cancelo was head and shoulders above Robertson in 21/22 at purely defensive stats: duels, interceptions, tackles, aerial balls won, etc. The underrating of his defensive contributions on here has been criminal, mostly because they happen in the middle third and are not treated as (sufficiently or properly) defensive according to the old school textbooks.

Could you tell us the defensive stats which show that Robertson was/is miles better? I cited stats in the Cucurella thread which showed that Cancelo was head and shoulders above Robertson in 21/22 at purely defensive stats: duels, interceptions, tackles, aerial balls won, etc. The underrating of his defensive contributions on here has been criminal, mostly because they happen in the middle third and are not treated as (sufficiently or properly) defensive according to the old school textbooks.
Just by watching them play. If we go purely off stats you‘d say Grealish is Shit when he clearly isn’t. I’m not having a go at Cancelo he’s done a great job overall and at times is amazing and a joy to watch. However, when he’s bad he can be abysmal. Only having 2 top class fullbacks at the club is the issue. It’s not Cancelo’s fault but it’s pretty ridiculous to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.