7 | Joao Cancelo - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just pointing out that at the end of the day, his form is mostly about him and his attitude and commitment, he was shite today and no one else is to blame

He is responsible for his form, no doubt about that. And the manager is responsible too. I think there are some objective circumstances why Cancelo lost form: injuries to other defenders from last and this season, which forced Pep to start him in something like 34 from the last 35 games: a bit too much even for the fittest players. Cancelo is probably at fault too, but, objectively seen, he's played a lot of football since the start of last season.

I think I’d be comfortable with Ake being there. Solid cover, let’s us move to a back 3 when in possession (put Cancelo right back to push up) and it’s let Grealish loose without having Cancelo taking up his areas.
Fair enough that would make us more solid but it’s not going to help Grealish as he needs an overlapping fullback

Bad week but those slating him don’t realise how lucky we are to have him.

He’s a RB who has turned into one of the best attacking LB in the world.

The game v Southampton he was absolutely class.

Let’s not turn on our players that quickly when they are out of form.

Like many have said.

When he's on it, there is no one close to him. But when he's having an off game, my god he turns into Phil Bardsley.

In the Pep system the fullback area is the one position that demands the most from a player.

Going forward if we receive decent interest I would bin him. We can't carry players who have a worldies then 5 stinkers.

Why have the the fullback positions (apart from Walker) been our achilles heel for so long.

Hes out of form 30 games out of 50. Its not like hes not had shit runs for us before. He basically has 12 good games a season. Looks like this year is no different.

I’ve backed him all the way. Many have forgotten how pivotal he was in 20/21 when he and Gundo were the main catalysts in our excellent season. Him moving into the midfield that season was something completely out of the ordinary and a sight to behold. I will never forget what he delivered that year.

Unfortunately, he is nowhere near those levels now and is currently driving me round the fucking twist. I don’t know whether it’s the upcoming World Cup, the lack of competition for his place, or something else entirely, but he looks pedestrian out there. I will forgive the odd defensive mistake as nobody is perfect, but there is a continued lack of urgency to his game. It’s like his balls have been chopped off. I would currently liken him to a LB version of Mahrez…odd moments of genius but not anywhere enough to gloss over the meh.

I’ve backed him all the way. Many have forgotten how pivotal he was in 20/21 when he and Gundo were the main catalysts in our excellent season. Him moving into the midfield that season was something completely out of the ordinary and a sight to behold. I will never forget what he delivered that year.

Unfortunately, he is nowhere near those levels now and is currently driving me round the fucking twist. I don’t know whether it’s the upcoming World Cup, the lack of competition for his place, or something else entirely, but he looks pedestrian out there. I will forgive the odd defensive mistake as nobody is perfect, but there is a continued lack of urgency to his game. It’s like his balls have been chopped off. I would currently liken him to a LB version of Mahrez…odd moments of genius but not anywhere enough to gloss over the meh.
Perfectly put. Couldn’t agree more.

We played a league cup game a few years ago (Oxford maybe?) And he tried to get one of theirs sent off for a nothing thing in our box. Marked him as a shithouse then and even when he's been a very good creative asset I've never taken to him as a player. Surely there's a left back out there somewhere? The Brentford lad today for one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.