7 | Joao Cancelo - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's been shit all season though, can't remember one good game.
He started the season well. Southampton at home he was MOTM and was arguably MOTM at Wolves, he also played well against West Ham, Bournemouth, Forest, United and was one of our only good performers against Brighton.

Granted he was poor against Palace, Leeds and Brentford, and terrible at Liverpool, Chelsea and last night.

But he’s been left back, right back, inverted left back, right wing back, right wing… in a season disrupted by a World Cup, he’s been all over the place and now his form is.

That's true, but Pep is yet to play him at LB and in a normal formation after the WC. He gave him 2 starts in 6 games, both starts were in weird formations. Why not play him where he was mostly played the last two seasons, i.e., at LB? Why play him at RW? Pep is trying to change something (due to Haaland?) but it's not working now. Neither Rico (too young) nor Ake (average going forward) will provide solutions for this season. Guess, if something doesn't change, Cancelo will leave in the summer anyway. But we should find solutions for this season. Rico and Ake are decent and can do a job. Won't be enough in (some) big games, though, especially in the CL.

The idea last night was to get everyone minutes in their legs. I'm sure Pep wanted to win the game, but let's be honest, if there's one we we're "okay" with losing it was that one considering it brings two additional games in an already packed schedule and we'd all much rather win the league and FA Cup. I agree on the form point, it's one thing getting minutes but it's damaging to the structure of the team to play in different positions all the time, especially when it's happening to so many. You lose the cohesiveness then. I'd still expect to see the fundamentals though. Controlling the ball, passing the ball, being able to tackle. That was all missing and you could tell Cancelo was frustrated with himself, which at least shows he wants to improve.

This sounds a bit like those rag fans who would say their case that KDB isn't among the best PL midfielders got stronger after the last 2-3 games. 2-3 poor games or months prove little. Cancelo made the PFA team of the year in back to back seasons and was the first FB in PL history to do it both at RB and LB.
Same debate again. He has 12 good games a year. And he hasn't had 12 this season. He's a liability defensively and played on the right is completely lost. But i guess that PFA Team of the year is everything - that'll be the same one that picked Ronaldo last year.

Same debate again. He has 12 good games a year. And he hasn't had 12 this season. He's a liability defensively and played on the right is completely lost. But i guess that PFA Team of the year is everything - that'll be the same one that picked Ronaldo last year.

I get you have an opinion, but Pep wouldn't have played him so often if he was good only 1-2 times a month (or in 1 from 5 games). He would have been sold ages ago if that were the case, and we wouldn't have won 2 titles in a row with such a liability either. City scored the most goals in Europe last season and conceded fewer chances than any team. Difficult to happen with a liability who played more often than even Ederson. He and Laporte were the only consistent defenders. The other defenders couldn't stay fit for starters.

I said we should have sold him to anyone who'd pay decent money last summer and he's proven me right with every game since.
I think it's a bit unfair to make out he's been bad all season, he was playing well in the first few weeks but since the mistake at Anfield his confidence looks shot. It probably doesn't help that he's either in and out of the team or being moved from left-back to right-back and even right wing from one game to the next. How is any player supposed to build up any kind of rhythm in those circumstances?

I'm not saying he doesn't have limitations as a defender because he does but he was one of our best players last season as a left-back who could play in midfield but also overlap when necessary. Given that we're employing a system where one full-back plays alongside Rodri and the other drops in to a back three, surely Walker and Cancelo are the perfect pair to do this. He just needs a run of games in the same position to build his confidence back up.

I get you have an opinion, but Pep wouldn't have played him so often if he was good only 1-2 times a month (or in 1 from 5 games). He would have been sold ages ago if that were the case, and we wouldn't have won 2 titles in a row with such a liability either. City scored the most goals in Europe last season and conceded fewer chances than any team. Difficult to happen with a liability who played more often than even Ederson. He and Laporte were the only consistent defenders. The other defenders couldn't stay fit for starters.
I appreciate what you're saying. I just go off what I see. Pep didn't play him in the UCL final. Make of that what you will.

I appreciate what you're saying. I just go off what I see. Pep didn't play him in the UCL final. Make of that what you will.
Lets not go there again.

As for Cancelo, I think this is just what you get from him. 30yrd trivela passes to Haalands' foot in one game and then stinkers another. Some may long for a reliable 6/10 LB/RB every game but Pep lives on the edge sometimes and thats why we bought the lad and sold Danilo.

Last night was the perfect amalgamation of just how below par he's been this season. The foul throw capped it off. Honestly damning how this supposed world class modern full back has been dropped not just at international level but by a lad who turned 18 a couple months ago, never mind how good he is. He really needs to sort it quick because he's a liability the way he's lining out as of late.
I was actually bewildered how bad he (along with 3 or 4 others) were. Said it in another thread, but the prep and mindset for that game must have been dreadful for the team to collectively play that bad for the entire match. Really stunned how shocking we were.

I was actually bewildered how bad he (along with 3 or 4 others) were. Said it in another thread, but the prep and mindset for that game must have been dreadful for the team to collectively play that bad for the entire match. Really stunned how shocking we were.

I'm convinced that Pep has had the derby on his mind all week and effectively overlooked or even wrote off the Southampton game.

Cancelo was just one member of an awful team last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.