7 | Joao Cancelo - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I appreciate what you're saying. I just go off what I see. Pep didn't play him in the UCL final. Make of that what you will.

Pep didn't play Rodri in the CL final. And Laporte didn't play either. They weren't in good form back then, Pep didn't play them. It's that simple.

Some used that fact to argue that Rodri wasn't good enough for us and we should sign a better DM than him. They were dead wrong. Same with Cancelo. I doubt we will win the PL or the CL without having Cancelo in good form. The other options have serious limitations going forward (provided they stay fit in the first place). Deficiencies in the build up play will weaken not only the attack, but the defence as well. Pep will have to play Cancelo into form by starting him at LB.

Should have used him as a makeweight last summer, rather give him a new deal.

He's a liability in defence and not willing to accept rotation and being moved about, seemingly.

His career suggests he doesn't mind moving clubs and maybe he has just got bored in Manchester?

He's been so bad for so long that most City fans would love Leroy Sane at left back than him if Pep has to experiment.

But no matter how you slice it, we need a new left back this winter.

Pep didn't play Rodri in the CL final. And Laporte didn't play either. They weren't in good form back then, Pep didn't play them. It's that simple.

Some used that fact to argue that Rodri wasn't good enough for us and we should sign a better DM than him. They were dead wrong. Same with Cancelo. I doubt we will win the PL or the CL without having Cancelo in good form. The other options have serious limitations going forward (provided they stay fit in the first place). Deficiencies in the build up play will weaken not only the attack, but the defence as well. Pep will have to play Cancelo into form by starting him at LB.
Best of a bad bunch is not exactly what i'm looking for in a full back. And he could be gangbusters for the next 5 months and we still might not win the PL or CL. I mean, i'd bet at least £5.25 that he won't be gangbusters for the next 5 months, because he's never ever shown that he can play consistently well for that long.

He's a great player but no LB...by the way, what position was he in last night? what the fuck!.

I am not sure being asked to play different positions excuses not being able to execute basic 5 yard passes without giving the ball away or putting crosses into the stand without any pressure on him.....not to mention pulling out of 50 50 tackles.
I though Gomez was poor last night but at least his delivery is good most of the time.

He started the season well. Southampton at home he was MOTM and was arguably MOTM at Wolves, he also played well against West Ham, Bournemouth, Forest, United and was one of our only good performers against Brighton.

Granted he was poor against Palace, Leeds and Brentford, and terrible at Liverpool, Chelsea and last night.

But he’s been left back, right back, inverted left back, right wing back, right wing… in a season disrupted by a World Cup, he’s been all over the place and now his form is.
OK maybe I was too harsh with him, you're also probably right about his performances being affected by Pep constantly changing his position, it's just that his performances lately have been so poor he makes you forget about his good ones earlier.

He's been really good for us overall. He can be really good again if he fancies it. He's not really been right since the burglary on his home, which is completely understandable. Maybe he's also feeling a bit bruised by Ake taking his place. If he can't turn it round and it wants to leave, he goes with my best wishes for helping us win the league back-to-back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.