#7 | Raheem Sterling - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love watching the guy play football and hope he stays forever. A lot of this, just like Jesus, is people wanting a new toy. He wasn't perfect as the central striker but so many have struggled there this season. A proper centre forward in this team would help his game.

annoyed with his lack of effort tonight. No real issue with him losing the ball everytime he touched it and his failure to ease pressure with holdup play, it's not really his game and the whole team were losing it but his half hearted pressing and tracking as the freshest man on the pitch wasn't good enough. He should have been putting pressure on the ball far more and getting back in to cover for tired legs.

annoyed with his lack of effort tonight. No real issue with him losing the ball everytime he touched it and his failure to ease pressure with holdup play, it's not really his game and the whole team were losing it but his half hearted pressing and tracking as the freshest man on the pitch wasn't good enough. He should have been putting pressure on the ball far more and getting back in to cover for tired legs.
In the match thread I asked why he was moving like he had just run a marathon. The ball retention from the team in the 2nd half was abysmal, but I thought Sterling would give us a bit of energy when we were under the cosh. It ended up that he looked more knackered than those that had played the whole game.

I’m not sure it was a lack of effort and it worries me that the team might run out of steam.

In the match thread I asked why he was moving like he had just run a marathon. The ball retention from the team in the 2nd half was abysmal, but I thought Sterling would give us a bit of energy when we were under the cosh. It ended up that he looked more knackered than those that had played the whole game.

I’m not sure it was a lack of effort and it worries me that the team might run out of steam.
You may have a point with some others but I don't think Sterling will have any burnout issues, he's fit as anything. Pep literally said pre-match sterling could play every 2 days. Now I'm not suggesting this is the case at all but it's almost as if he had the hump at not starting. Perhaps it was just a case of him not being able to get upto speed of the game coming in cold. That can happen. Either way, it wasn't an impactful substitutes performance, we needed and expected more.

He's finally going to tear Liverpool apart this weekend.

Wrong sub. I know KDB needed to come off at that time due to his leg. But Ferna/Grealish would be a better option instead of Sterling. Either deploy Ferna or put Grealish to the left& move Foden to the middle.Because at that moment, you need to put on some midfielder to give more control in the midfield and Foden/Grealish could operate like a false 9. Sterling was a threat from behind but at that state, the opposite needed to chase a goal and they did not care the behind anymore. After the sub, Sterling had barely touched the ball for a long time and our midfield was a totally mess.

Actually I would start him instead of Gundo today. And sub Gundo for KDB, Grealish for Bernado by 50min mark. Use Sterling's energy to run at their defenders in the first half when the opposite still tried to maintain the attacking/defending balance.

All in all we know from the Euro final that Sterling was better than Grealish at many many things. But Sterling offered little when the team was pushed back and struggled to move up the pitch. Grealish, on the other hand, had the ability to use all his little dark arts to win a free kick and give the team a chance to breath.

In the next round, I hope to see Sterling as a starter and Grealish as an impact sub. Pep, get this correct! Even Southgate could see this!

Wrong sub. I know KDB needed to come off at that time due to his leg. But Ferna/Grealish would be a better option instead of Sterling. Either deploy Ferna or put Grealish to the left& move Foden to the middle.Because at that moment, you need to put on some midfielder to give more control in the midfield and Foden/Grealish could operate like a false 9. Sterling was a threat from behind but at that state, the opposite needed to chase a goal and they did not care the behind anymore. After the sub, Sterling had barely touched the ball for a long time and our midfield was a totally mess.

Actually I would start him instead of Gundo today. And sub Gundo for KDB, Grealish for Bernado by 50min mark. Use Sterling's energy to run at their defenders in the first half when the opposite still tried to maintain the attacking/defending balance.

All in all we know from the Euro final that Sterling was better than Grealish at many many things. But Sterling offered little when the team was pushed back and struggled to move up the pitch. Grealish, on the other hand, had the ability to use all his little dark arts to win a free kick and give the team a chance to breath.

In the next round, I hope to see Sterling as a starter and Grealish as an impact sub. Pep, get this correct! Even Southgate could see this!

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. At the time sterling coming on was absolutely the correct call. we couldn't get up the pitch, they were pushing very high and we had instances where our front line had chances to get in behind just before the sub but didn't have the legs to do it. Sterling made complete sense, they either drop because of the threat and give us room to regain control or we can get in behind and kill it. it didn't pan out like that but the idea was sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.