#7 | Raheem Sterling - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the shoulder of the defenders, not a yard in front of them, ensuring he's offside as soon as the ball is played.
His role was not to be involved in any build up, he wasn’t playing as a link man. He was playing as the guy who made runs in behind dropped the defensive line as much as he could. The 1v1 miss and the offside goal were examples of the tactic working perfectly. Aguero used to stand just offside all the time so when we attacked through the lines or in behind he was a yard ahead of the defence

His role was not to be involved in any build up, he wasn’t playing as a link man. He was playing as the guy who made runs in behind dropped the defensive line as much as he could. The 1v1 miss and the offside goal were examples of the tactic working perfectly. Aguero used to stand just offside all the time so when we attacked through the lines or in behind he was a yard ahead of the defence
I'm agreeing with you that this was the right tactic but think about it. How can you make a run behind when you're in front of the defensive line to start with?

Okay folks, we've had some posters hinting at accusations of racism on here. Which is a serious accusation to make. We ask you now, if you have evidence of racism, to please report it. But please, no frivolous reporting. Calling someone shit isn't, in itself, racist.

I'm agreeing with you that this was the right tactic but think about it. How can you make a run behind when you're in front of the defensive line to start with?
Because it’s controlled movements, our players tend to do that anyway. Pep gets an attacker to run in behind, to the point where they go offside to drop the last line of defence to open space elsewhere. That’s what sterling was doing, he was edging right on the shoulder of the CB (who can never be sure if he’s off or on without losing concentration) so they drop more than they would if he was in front of them and then that creates a tiny bit more space for Jesus or Foden to run into for the long ball to be played.

Okay folks, we've had some posters hinting at accusations of racism on here. Which is a serious accusation to make. We ask you now, if you have evidence of racism, to please report it. But please, no frivolous reporting. Calling someone shit isn't, in itself, racist.
I'd like to echo this, because we treat racism very seriously on these boards.

Because it’s controlled movements, our players tend to do that anyway. Pep gets an attacker to run in behind, to the point where they go offside to drop the last line of defence to open space elsewhere. That’s what sterling was doing, he was edging right on the shoulder of the CB (who can never be sure if he’s off or on without losing concentration) so they drop more than they would if he was in front of them and then that creates a tiny bit more space for Jesus or Foden to run into for the long ball to be played.
Yeah it's not uncommon for strikers to linger offside, particularly against high lines. It keeps a defence on edge having them behind them. The forward would usually be able to bend their runs too if needed.

The idea wasn't for Sterling to be on the end of long balls. He lingers which gives the wingers and midfielders the chance to sneak through.

When a player is standing offside for as long as Sterling did you can be sure it was deliberate.

330 appearances 128 goals & 93 assists in 7 seasons hardly ever injured, those stats are absolutely brilliant yet some still slag him off.

Anybody other than a top striker would struggle to match those stats.

I like Sterling and hope he stays he was literally (although I think it was on) an inch away from winning the game yesterday.

Sterling and Jesus were picked to implement a specific game plan on the day. In the main it was successful and in general terms we came out on top. Sterling is not perhaps a prolific finisher but he does score a lot of goals. Yesterday was typical display by him. He missed a sitter but was unlucky to be Vared offside and while he troubled the dipper defence he still managed to fluff his lines at crucial points. In a nutshell Sterling is not a great player but he is a very good one most of the time. You could say mostly the same about Jesus.
These lads are not in the same league as an Aquero or some of the strikers we are currently looking to sign but they as good as most of their counterparts in the PL .
Totally agree with both postings, missed a sitter but robbed of a good goal, him in a nutshell…. I still wonder about his mindset in Liverpool games, I think he is still intimidated to an extent.

330 appearances 128 goals & 93 assists in 7 seasons hardly ever injured, those stats are absolutely brilliant yet some still slag him off.

Anybody other than a top striker would struggle to match those stats.

I like Sterling and hope he stays he was literally (although I think it was on) an inch away from winning the game yesterday.
Imagine if this was Some Spanish players stat! The forum would be going crazy over that player. On the transfer forum, fanboys are still going crazy over Joao Felix (81 apps, 21 goals). It's just how it is on bluemoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.