#8 | Ilkay Gündoğan - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's funny, I watched the game last night and thought he was probably MOTM. I posted that in the post match thread and loads of people agreed, and there was a lot of discussion about how good he was. In fact, go back 5 pages and it's full of praise, with just some saying they wish he played like that every game.

Now, I look at this thread 12 hours later and it's the usual suspects saying he was shit. What fucking game were you watching?

I think it's become very apparent that a section of this forum doesn't even watch him play, they've decided before kickoff that he's shit and they won't hear anything different.

After seeing @PannickAtTheDisco's rant about him being a "coward" yesterday afternoon, one of the most obvious things in this game was that he went in for half a dozen 50/50s, hacked a couple of people down and made some intelligent tactical fouls as well.

I voted him as my MOTM, for clarity. All I want is last night to be his base level, as opposed to Porto and West Ham which he slips down to far too often. He does duck out of things too often, and is proven he's willing to do it and perform at that intensity and tempo. Last night shows that when he steps it up he can deliver and that's need to be the baseline, that's all I'm asking of him. Not going back to the West Ham and Porto performances which, honestly, was really mediocre.

I think he ducks out of key tackles and interceptions too often, I've sat at the Etihad and watched him do it for 3 years, it's my honest view. He can stick his foot in and nick it back and save us from dangerous counter-attacks, when he does it, we're a different team because he springs us on the front foot, when he ducks out we're often up shit creek without a paddle, though Dias, Walker and Laporte are forming a stronger partnership which protects us a bit better, but any injuries back and we'd be back in trouble.

It's the same with Bernardo getting back to 18/19 form, we've seen these guys best and they give it us in glimpses recently, but it's not consistent and they need to get back there to avoid another season like last season.

There lies the problem, one good performance in six makes him a definite shoe in for the next few games, when his performances will be average at best.

Don’t agree pal. I know that he usually looks poor in the same team as Rodri, but that’s not his fault.

I believe that a solid defence gave Ilkay more freedom to get forward last night, which enabled him to show his strengths.

Normally he's held back to support Rodders and the other CBs.

You just make stuff up to suit your divisive narrative.
Why on earth is putting a positive slant on a players performance, role and ability divisive? And if that is your answer rather than challenge my points with reasoned debate then why are you bothering commenting at all.

Is it because i don't agree with your slant and you want everyone to see football in the same narrow minded tunnel visioned way that you do.

I have seen hundreds of midfielders play for City over the years, the vast majority of which are nowhere near Gundogan's class, ability or technique, in fact there are only a handful that are in front of him, because he has that very rare thing, he makes a complicated game look simple. Not many players in the PL history have been able to do that, not many i have ever seen can do that, but you carry on with campaign you will not be changing my mind. I know football.

Don’t agree pal. I know that he usually looks poor in the same team as Rodri, but that’s not his fault.
I don't see why Rhodri gets blamed for Gundog looking poor? Does KDB look poor when he plays in the same team as Rhodri ? Are you saying he only looks good when someone is next to him doing part of the job he should be doing?

Also the issue with Gundog looking poor has been around long before Rhodri joined us, who's fault was it then? Fernandiniho's ? He picked up a bad injury in his first year with us and that was used by many as a reason for him hardly tackling anymore?

Hes rarely tackles or tracks back, but controls the game well with mostly safe passes while retaining possession and occasionally a killer ball and a goal. You could say hes a poor mans David Silva, therefore IMO hes always been a luxury player that gets away with an awful lot of average performances. But when we play well he often plays well. Its just when we don't he never seems to be able to raise his game and the players around him like others often do.

Why on earth is putting a positive slant on a players performance, role and ability divisive? And if that is your answer rather than challenge my points with reasoned debate then why are you bothering commenting at all.

Is it because i don't agree with your slant and you want everyone to see football in the same narrow minded tunnel visioned way that you do.

I have seen hundreds of midfielders play for City over the years, the vast majority of which are nowhere near Gundogan's class, ability or technique, in fact there are only a handful that are in front of him, because he has that very rare thing, he makes a complicated game look simple. Not many players in the PL history have been able to do that, not many i have ever seen can do that, but you carry on with campaign you will not be changing my mind. I know football.
Probably better to compare him with the midfield players we have had the past 10 years, not when we were 2 divisions down. I guess he wouldn't be so high up the pecking order then?

I am honestly surprised at how many City fans go on about how good Gundogan is. One guy even commented that every top team would want him in their midfield. Don't get me wrong here...he is a good solid player but he is not a top player. Physically he cannot compete with the strong and fast players and this often results in him falling short defensively. In attack he just doesn't produce enough with crucial goals or brilliant assists. A true top midfielder does...see KDB stats... for example, 20 assists last season. The stats for Gundogan at City are 104 appearances, 15 goals and 6 assists... these are not the stats of a top player.

As I said before, he is a good player and a very important squad player for the team.

I voted him as my MOTM, for clarity. All I want is last night to be his base level, as opposed to Porto and West Ham which he slips down to far too often. He does duck out of things too often, and is proven he's willing to do it and perform at that intensity and tempo. Last night shows that when he steps it up he can deliver and that's need to be the baseline, that's all I'm asking of him. Not going back to the West Ham and Porto performances which, honestly, was really mediocre.

I think he ducks out of key tackles and interceptions too often, I've sat at the Etihad and watched him do it for 3 years, it's my honest view. He can stick his foot in and nick it back and save us from dangerous counter-attacks, when he does it, we're a different team because he springs us on the front foot, when he ducks out we're often up shit creek without a paddle, though Dias, Walker and Laporte are forming a stronger partnership which protects us a bit better, but any injuries back and we'd be back in trouble.

It's the same with Bernardo getting back to 18/19 form, we've seen these guys best and they give it us in glimpses recently, but it's not consistent and they need to get back there to avoid another season like last season.

Sometimes I wonder if that lack of commitment in the tackle is to do with lingering concerns about his serious injuries in the past. He's not an aggressive player anyway but I'm sure he had a bit more bite when he was at Dortmund. Maybe I'm wrong and he's never been that guy but that's the only issue I've ever had with him.

You seem to think those who question his lack of aggression and tackling are yearning for the days of cloggers. That’s why you’re divisive. But you carry on thinking he’s the dream midfield player. I’ll continue to question his purpose in the team. It’s a football forum. That means folk share opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.