8 | Mateo Kovacic - 2023/24

I know he’s captained Croatia but I don’t think anywhere else? He’s such a smart, thoughtful speaker and seemingly such an understated leader. In an alternate universe he’s a guy that could have captained a team somewhere for ten years. To me, he’s a model of players we should look for to fill gaps (not the only model!) - hardworking, happy to learn under Pep, experience on big stage, happy to play any type of role - from sub to starter.

Genuinely believe he is one of our worst buys ever.

Comes on to protect leads and routinely fails.
Can't anchor the midfield.
Barely scores goals.
Doesn't control the midfield.
Doesn't actually do anything a proper footballer should.

The downgrade from Gundogan to this trash is absolutely astonishing.
This aged well

Complements Rodri so well.

This is irrelevant, but I wonder if people still remembers he played for Madrid. He was part of the team with Ronaldo, Benzema and Bale. The team that 3-peated the CL under Zidane.
He was part of the squad - let's not over egg it. In winning 4 CLs he's played a total of 17 minutes.

I like him as a player and he compliments Rodders wonderfully, so doesn't matter to me ;)

(Apparently he can speak 5 languages too, which pisses me off as I struggle with just English!!)

He was part of the squad - let's not over egg it. In winning 4 CLs he's played a total of 17 minutes.

I like him as a player and he compliments Rodders wonderfully, so doesn't matter to me ;)

(Apparently he can speak 5 languages too, which pisses me off as I struggle with just English!!)
that is simply not true. i’ve seen this crap take so many time here, some people just love to shit on his accomplishments.

apply the same logic to city players last season why don’t you, and see how many treble winners you’re left with.

that is simply not true. i’ve seen this crap take so many time here, some people just love to shit on his accomplishments.

apply the same logic to city players last season why don’t you, and see how many treble winners you’re left with.
In terms of finals it's factually true lad.

I'm not "shitting on his accomplishments" I'm simply stating the facts.

It's brilliant he's been involved in 4 squads that have won CLs - it is after all a squad game

I really like Kovacic, but suggesting that he made a serious contribution to four Champions League's is a total stretch, as he played almost no knockout games.

For his first win he played 34 minutes in the CL knockout stages, mostly in the first leg of the last 16 match. He wasn't in the squad for the final.
For his second win he played 6 minutes of knockout football in the quarter finals, none of it in the final.
For his third win he did start 2 out 7 knockout games, but again didn't play in the final.
For his fourth win he may actually have played more, but he was injured for the later knockout games, and came on for just 10 minutes in the final.

You can't compare with City last year. Firstly because it would only rule out a handful of fringe players, as most played significant games. But also because four CL titles is something very few players have, and I doubt he'd ever compare his record to the likes of Xavi, or Sergio Ramos.

It's absolutely no slight to point out that he was a squad player at Madrid when they were arguably the best team in the World, but was nowhere near a key player.

In terms of finals it's factually true lad.

I'm not "shitting on his accomplishments" I'm simply stating the facts.

It's brilliant he's been involved in 4 squads that have won CLs - it is after all a squad game
right, and we all know it’s straight to the finals with the ucl. so, if only the starting xi in the final gets any credit how many treble winners do city have? hope this helps.

I really like Kovacic, but suggesting that he made a serious contribution to four Champions League's is a total stretch, as he played almost no knockout games.

For his first win he played 34 minutes in the CL knockout stages, mostly in the first leg of the last 16 match. He wasn't in the squad for the final.
For his second win he played 6 minutes of knockout football in the quarter finals, none of it in the final.
For his third win he did start 2 out 7 knockout games, but again didn't play in the final.
For his fourth win he may actually have played more, but he was injured for the later knockout games, and came on for just 10 minutes in the final.

You can't compare with City last year. Firstly because it would only rule out a handful of fringe players, as most played significant games. But also because four CL titles is something very few players have, and I doubt he'd ever compare his record to the likes of Xavi, or Sergio Ramos.

It's absolutely no slight to point out that he was a squad player at Madrid when they were arguably the best team in the World, but was nowhere near a key player.
as you can see, the previous poster considers only finals matter at all. i’ve seen it here many times. foden didn’t start the final, take him out of the treble winners list. i do not agree with that take, i’m just done with with the constant crap kova’s been getting. you don’t have to agree with me of course.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.