8 | Mateo Kovacic - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Three in case you forget. The first year of the current 3 peat. You know the season where KDB undeservedly won POTY over the likes of him, Mahrez and Dias.

Yeah, apologies it was three, the point remains he was still finding his feet or unappreciated (not by me) for a good couple of seasons.. bearing in mind he joined in 2016!

We bought 2 midfielders and they are all below Foden's level, never mind KDB or Gundogan's level. Foden has blown hot and cold and Bernardo is struggling so we really needed to have much better options in mf than Kovacic or Nunes. What is the rational explanation for getting these two players?.
Elite ball carriers or whatever the term I used nowadays

We bought 2 midfielders and they are all below Foden's level, never mind KDB or Gundogan's level. Foden has blown hot and cold and Bernardo is struggling so we really needed to have much better options in mf than Kovacic or Nunes. What is the rational explanation for getting these two players?.
Neither improve the starting 11 from.this season, never mind last season. Look to be 2 poor signings

All of Pep’s best teams have had that fairly clear 5/5 split between a defensive block and an attacking block.
At the moment, Kovacic looks like he can’t be trusted to be part of a 5-man defensive block, either as a single no. 6, or alongside someone else in front of a back 3. And he’s not productive enough at the top end of the pitch to be part of a front 5. Gundogan was the opposite, in the sense that he was able to do both brilliantly.
Early days, and far too soon to write him off. Hopefully Pep can work his magic. But for now, he looks way off our level.

Kovacic was particularly poor yesterday. Needs to up his game considerably.

the day we bought him, a Chelsea fan told me that Kovacic will play as good as the team around him, he can be excellent and can be gash, but he can't influence midfield and set the standard himself, he must have excellent players alongside him to get the best from him.

it's a starkly good assessment so far.

the day we bought him, a Chelsea fan told me that Kovacic will play as good as the team around him, he can be excellent and can be gash, but he can't influence midfield and set the standard himself, he must have excellent players alongside him to get the best from him.

it's a starkly good assessment so far.

On that basis then he should be playing better with us than he did with them then no?

What did they get rid for seems to be the question on my lips

Pass accuracy 97%.
He looked ordinary to me,but that's an extraordinary stat away from home at title rivals,almost certainly the most accurate passer of a ball on the pitch.
Just saying like...
Once again stats not telling the whole story .
He was absolutely wank yesterday both in his general play and his tackling. 3 yard sideways and backwards passes always good to pad out the stats.
The older generation never look for stats,their eyes have told them all the needed to know.
Strange buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.