80 | Cole Palmer - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's made 27 career appearances. Vast majority of them as random sub appearances. How many starts has he made in his career? 10? 15? Dunno, but it's clearly no more than half that total which is nowt. He's clearly still very much at the beginning of his career, and having to learn new positions too. He's barely had any real regular game time, played in four positions - right wing, left wing, midfield and as a false nine - and had a serious injury keep him out for half a season. Why are people expecting the world from him? He's doing just fine and learning lessons out of position. No rush at all.
Oh, I'm not expecting the world from him at all. I don't want anyone to think I am. I just started seeing signs by age 20 that Foden (and now Lewis at 18) was going to stick around and be a regular fixture in the team, but it's not really happening for Palmer in a similar way that it's not quite happening for Delap or Kayky (admittedly one level down in the City set-up), or even the likes of Denis Suarez and John Guidetti a decade ago (again, they were a level below Palmer).

I'd be more than happy for Palmer to stay. He's intelligent, comfortable on the ball, and he doesn't look lost in our system at all. He's absolutely going to be Premier League quality. But, just imo, he might want to look a little further down the league if he wants to play regularly. Foden had made 50+ appearances by this stage and I imagine Lewis will have as well. Obviously every player matures at different speeds, but Palmer won't have hit 50 apps by May.

I really do want to stress that I want him to succeed here. I love the lad. The more local players in the City squad the better. I grew up on the same estate as Foden as went to the same school (admittedly only for about six months) and watching him become a star for City and England has been amazing. I remember him scoring that header in the 1-0 against Spurs in 2019 and then saw him fishing on my local park 24 hours later. I want that for Palmer and the good folks of Wythenshawe.

Oh, I'm not expecting the world from him at all. I don't want anyone to think I am. I just started seeing signs by age 20 that Foden (and now Lewis at 18) was going to stick around and be a regular fixture in the team, but it's not really happening for Palmer in a similar way that it's not quite happening for Delap or Kayky (admittedly one level down in the City set-up), or even the likes of Denis Suarez and John Guidetti a decade ago (again, they were a level below Palmer).

I'd be more than happy for Palmer to stay. He's intelligent, comfortable on the ball, and he doesn't look lost in our system at all. He's absolutely going to be Premier League quality. But, just imo, he might want to look a little further down the league if he wants to play regularly. Foden had made 50+ appearances by this stage and I imagine Lewis will have as well. Obviously every player matures at different speeds, but Palmer won't have hit 50 apps by May.

I really do want to stress that I want him to succeed here. I love the lad. The more local players in the City squad the better. I grew up on the same estate as Foden as went to the same school (admittedly only for about six months) and watching him become a star for City and England has been amazing. I remember him scoring that header in the 1-0 against Spurs in 2019 and then saw him fishing on my local park 24 hours later. I want that for Palmer and the good folks of Wythenshawe.
A local lad who has broke into a squad which is the best in the world . I think he has been fantastic and will have a great career either at city or wherever he could end up .

A local lad who has broke into a squad which is the best in the world . I think he has been fantastic and will have a great career either at city or wherever he could end up .
Yep, just said he is absolutely Premier League quality.

Think it's very unfair to criticise a player who is playing out of position. I do think he should have passed the ball to Alvarez, but at the same time he's probably wanting to desperately make an impression. I'd imagine if Mahrez played on the left he'd also massively struggle there.

Any player who wants to thrive in Pep’s team should be able to make good decisions.
Decision making is what separates Rico Lewis and Mcateer.

Completely fair assessment.

But I don’t get this rage against reasonable criticism about his recent decision-making when he has played, which is completely independent of what role he is playing (and somewhat independent of his age, especially given how long he has been with City; he’s not just been brought in and is just now realising this is a team-first system).

As I have said, I don’t personally expect anything more of him than Pep does and have been a big fan of him for awhile (anyone can find evidence of that by searching my posts concerning Palmer on here).

I don’t want to be lumped in with the supposed group “writing him off” merely because I am bringing up concerns I have with his recent appearances.

I actually don't think his decision making is independent of his position. Your whole game is affected when you're out of position. I agree it needs to be better, but people do make misjudgements when they're not doing something familiar, in literally any industry.

Either way, if I'm right or wrong with that I think some of the decision making could also be put down to a young player eager to impress and score. He's a goalscorer who scores at a much greater rate when playing on the right, so I can imagine he doesn't feel like he's fulfilling his usual game. It's no big deal IMO.

I actually don't think his decision making is independent of his position. Your whole game is affected when you're out of position. I agree it needs to be better, but people do make misjudgements when they're not doing something familiar, in literally any industry.

Either way, if I'm right or wrong with that I think some of the decision making could also be put down to a young player eager to impress and score. He's a goalscorer who scores at a much greater rate when playing on the right, so I can imagine he doesn't feel like he's fulfilling his usual game. It's no big deal IMO.
Correct.

I actually agree that some decision making is related to position, but I do not think the type I am talking about (individual contribution vs team contribution) is particularly related to position.

And I know people are using the Alvarez chance as the example for the poor decision making, but that is just the most prominent example of many I saw over the past two performances particularly.

I do agree with you about it being largely down to him wanting to impress (I said as much in my original post concerning yesterday’s appearance); he is indeed a player that is accustomed to setting himself apart with individual brilliance. But he’s now made the step up to where the focus is firmly team first, individual seventeenth, and he still needs to make that mental transition.

I have every confidence he can do it—as I also said in my original post, he has all the talent in the world. But that mindset is probably the thing Pep has the least patience for development (not no patience, just the least of all elements of player progression), so Palmer needs to do it sooner rather than later if he wants to fully break in to the first team like Phil (and now Rico).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.