80 | Cole Palmer - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Palmer is a better finisher than Mahrez ^
Mahrez was the best goalscorer this past season. So, you're saying Palmer is better finisher than the whole squad, bar Haaland. You must have watched him a lot.

I think he will get good first team minutes but mainly cups, CL if qualified.

Might well benefit from the extra subs rule.

However think he has to overcome Mahrez and Alvarez.

Pep has said he’s the best finisher in training.He might have a different opinion now having watched the big man in training for a couple of weeks. At u23 level he looks an unbelievable finisher and even better than Mahrez at getting his shots in after creating half a yard.Obviously that’s not a fair comparison as i’m sure Mahrez would score for fun at that level too. Will probably take Palmer a bit to transfer that to the Premier league but the natural talent appears to be obvious.

Not slagging Mahrez in the slightest because he’s a brilliant player for us. Just agree with others that Palmer has ridiculous potential.

Mahrez was the best goalscorer this past season. So, you're saying Palmer is better finisher than the whole squad, bar Haaland. You must have watched him a lot.

Finishing != goal scoring.

Finishing is just one aspect of goal scoring. There’s also minutes played, movement, ability to get into the right positions, how the opposition defend the space around you and so on. My point was purely about finishing.

On a purely technical level - it’s pretty clear to see Palmer has a special ability to score, particularly from distance. He exceeded his xG in all of the cup competitions last year including CL as the goals he scored were generally low probability chances.

Finishing != goal scoring.

Finishing is just one aspect of goal scoring. There’s also minutes played, movement, ability to get into the right positions, how the opposition defend the space around you and so on. My point was purely about finishing.

On a purely technical level - it’s pretty clear to see Palmer has a special ability to score, particularly from distance. He exceeded his xG in all of the cup competitions last year including CL as the goals he scored were generally low probability chances.
I don't doubt Palmer's abilities. I just found the comparison with a player (who is so underrated as to be named by an insult) as being too opportunistic.

Pep has said he’s the best finisher in training.He might have a different opinion now having watched the big man in training for a couple of weeks. At u23 level he looks an unbelievable finisher and even better than Mahrez at getting his shots in after creating half a yard.Obviously that’s not a fair comparison as i’m sure Mahrez would score for fun at that level too. Will probably take Palmer a bit to transfer that to the Premier league but the natural talent appears to be obvious.

Not slagging Mahrez in the slightest because he’s a brilliant player for us. Just agree with others that Palmer has ridiculous potential.
I think it was someone else was saying about finishing and I’d be surprised if Palmer was the best, but it’s subjective such as long shots you would probably struggle to best Rodri and KDB.

However, I don’t watch U23 and have not seen that much plus your knowledge on getting that half yard and finishing, is an insight I don’t have. For Pep to say that even as a confident boost, means he is impressed by his finishing.

For me I think Mahrez will have the position mainly with Alvarez but sounds like Palmer is competition as well.

Exciting times!!

I think he’ll get a lot more minutes then just cup games and maybe one champions league game if we’ve qualified. If that was all the games he got he’d be better on loan

I think he’ll get a lot more minutes then just cup games and maybe one champions league game if we’ve qualified. If that was all the games he got he’d be better on loan
I’d be surprised with too many starts in PL except at times you need to use the squad, but who knows.

I do see Pep uses the established players a lot, even in cups etc. I am sure it is in part keeping the harmony.

Foden took longer then people expected to breakthrough and you heard the similar loan move, first team minutes argument etc.

For our top, top youth the ones we really see having a future at City, I think City want them in around the first team, Pep training them and playing with the best players in the world.

I know they could get more game time elsewhere, but this experience must be invaluable with the goal of making it at City.

Whilst I’m sure there are no guarantees if you get that squad place, make it your own and games will eventually come.

I’d be surprised with too many starts in PL except at times you need to use the squad, but who knows.

I do see Pep uses the established players a lot, even in cups etc. I am sure it is in part keeping the harmony.

Foden took longer then people expected to breakthrough and you heard the similar loan move, first team minutes argument etc.

For our top, top youth the ones we really see having a future at City, I think City want them in around the first team, Pep training them and playing with the best players in the world.

I know they could get more game time elsewhere, but this experience must be invaluable with the goal of making it at City.

Whilst I’m sure there are no guarantees if you get that squad place, make it your own and games will eventually come.

I’m not sure I agree with your last few points. Every young player follows a different path and develops differently. We can’t just use foden as a blueprint for all of them. He’s a unique talent. He was also 2 years younger then palmer when he first started to get minutes.

I think palmer will get game time and will start some league games. He’s need to be coming off the bench more and starting some games. For players like Mcatee though, he’s too good to just be training - he needs first team minutes.

There’s only so much first team training they can do. Foden was training, but getting game time as well at 17/ 18.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.