82 | Rico Lewis - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cautioned against going overboard on Rico a few weeks ago when the hype was getting silly. It’s now obvious that opponents are either overloading on him or bullying him. He’s got plenty of potential but we need to be more selective when we play him.
Agreed, he seems to be escaping criticism for the goal, and while Rodri was certainly most culpable Rico was slow to react and got bodied off the ball

He was far too central today, it's fine coming inside but do it just off the left and offer yourself on angle, don't stand next to Rodri and get in each others way. We essentially had 2 players for one role when on the ball and left ourselves wide open if we lost it. I'm inclined to blame Pep for that rather than Lewis because he didnt appear to be telling him to come wider or change what he was doing so I can only assume he was doing what Pep asked him to do.

We should be lessening the responsibility we give him for now, let him play as a more authodox fullback for a few games let him have a few quiet but efficient games. This lad is going to have so much put on him in the next few months, he's just not ready for the role we are going to give him now that we have 1 senior fullback in the entire squad. I think it's inevitable its going to cost us dearly like today and its not his fault at all.

Goal today was mainly his fault rather than Rodri's, he was caught on his heels, you just cannot let that happen in that position. If you're in that position, you have to expect the pass and in no circumstances can you lose it. He might be a kid but he has to be treated the same as the rest, Rodri cannot not pass to him just because he's a kid and its a difficult situation, if he's in there the players have to trust him. It's a mistake, it's going to happen, important for him that he learns and doesn't let that happen again this season.
Totally disagree the goal was his fault. It was on Rodri and Rodri alone. When Rodri received the ball and run backwards to his own goal, Lewis already pointed to him to play the easy option being Ederson. Rodri then suddenly turned and played in Lewis who didn’t expected it and therefore was a tad slow. Also with the experience Rodri has it was silly to think he could just play in the 18 year old. No. Goal was Rodri’s fault and it was unnecessary.

Why would he receive criticism for the goal? Rodri gave the ball away and then put in a half arsed attempt to win it back.
Definitely Rodri's fault. Watching it live I remember thinking Rico was slow to react/ball watching (poor pass aside) and then got outmuscled. I could be misremembering but would have to rewatch the goal and haven't super keen to do that

Definitely Rodri's fault. Watching it live I remember thinking Rico was slow to react/ball watching (poor pass aside) and then got outmuscled. I could be misremembering but would have to rewatch the goal and haven't super keen to do that
Yeah, rewatch it and you’ll see it was Rodri’s fault not Rico’s. Picking an unbalanced side to get an 18 year old promising kid in midfield playing square passes at the expense of any width and players like Laporte and Dias. That’s on the manager

Totally disagree the goal was his fault. It was on Rodri and Rodri alone. When Rodri received the ball and run backwards to his own goal, Lewis already pointed to him to play the easy option being Ederson. Rodri then suddenly turned and played in Lewis who didn’t expected it and therefore was a tad slow. Also with the experience Rodri has it was silly to think he could just play in the 18 year old. No. Goal was Rodri’s fault and it was unnecessary.

Like I said, the pass from Rodri wasn't the best option but it wasnt a terrible pass, it was on and it was too him, Lewis was just on his heels and got robbed when he should be alert. if Lewis is in that area, he has to be anticipating the pass, we play that pass all the time, usually in to Rodri.

As for your last bit, that's something I addressed in my post and fully disagree with. It doesn't matter if he's 18 or 28, he's in the side on merit and has to be treated the same as anybody else. What's the point in him being on the pitch if players are going to think twice about passing it him because he's 18?Totally the wrong mindsight to have. the players have to trust him as much as they trust the rest otherwise he becomes a hindrance through no fault of his own.

those stupid passes are not needed.

in the home game Ederson could have kick it in row Z.
today Rodri could have put it into row Z.

both times it cost us a goal. we bring these situations onto us. to do this 2 times vs same opponent within 2 weeks, thats madness.

you need to be Andres Iniesta or David Silva at the top of their game to be able to pass under pressure and receive a pass under pressure and be able to not lose it.
for Ederson, rodri, Lewis, Ake to pass around in the back it looks arrogant when they press us high, what we want to achieve really? t show them "we can pass through your press" well clearly we cannot and we got punished witth 2 goals games and they had not even a shot until that in the game.

even if we pass through their press, what then? ball goes to Bernardo maybe, then to Mahrez, who is asked to slow down, turn back, pass to Walker, who passes to Rodri, who gives it to Ake who gives it to Ederson. so we beat their pass if we are lucky not to get caught and we pass it back to Ederson and we wasted two minutes in the game.

dont tell me we want to beat the press every tie just to make a qquick counter we rarely ever try that.

A few weeks ago Pep said "when Rico plays he makes others better". For me the crucial thing is he makes our main threat, Haaland, play worse. Rico is a fantastic talent but he needs to work on the pace of his passing - often they are left short and easy to cut out and also he needs to understand and have the confidence to try and thread it through early.

I've no doubt he has a big future for us but it is wrong to suggest at this moment in time he is the answer to a position Cancelo on top form made his own. It's too big an ask when others are also out of form.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.