82 | Rico Lewis - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He’s understandably naive in defensive situations (positionally suspect + looks a bit frenetic at times) but he’s great in possession and incredibly press-resistant for such a young player.

I think his future lies in midfield.

You’re spot-on Doc, he does have the possession attributes of a midfielder but, then again, Pep likes midfielders in all kinds of positions doesn’t he? iirc He once said he’d play 11 midfielders if he could . . or words to that effect?

Point being that under this manager his midfield attributes don’t detract from his defensive position and all players are required to defend.
As example; Bernardo Silva is, to my mind at least, as midfield as you can get . . but Pep’s played him at leftback.
As things stand I recon that Rico will continue to develop as a leftback. He‘ll need to polish up his defensive awareness / positioning, as you mentioned, but he’s only 18 so he’s got time enough . I’m excited about how he could develop from here and IMO he could take a similar path to Foden. I hope so anyhow.

Incredibly calm and confident for a kid of 18. Pep seems to have faith in him and trust he will make the right choices when it comes to both positioning and passes he makes. Think he will be used in the inverted full back role by Pep but more likely midfield post Pep unless the game changes and the inverted full back becomes the norm.

Always think he needs to play with a size 4 ball, seems to get the ball caught under his feet a lot

Today he had 0 tackles, 0 interceptions, 0 clearances, 2 times miscontrolled the ball, 2 times got dispossessed. That's a poor defensive contribution. On the other hand, he displayed excellent passing, and great technical ability on occasion, but again, he has a lot of of work to fulfill his potential. Overall, good offensive contribution, suspect defensively (that hand ball...).

Last edited:
Today he had 0 tackles, 0 interceptions, 0 clearances, 2 times miscontrolled the ball, 2 times got dispossessed. That's a poor defensive contribution. On the other hand, he displayed excellent passing, and great technical ability on occasion, but again, he has a lot of of work to fulfill his potential. Overall, good offensive contribution, suspect defensively (that hand ball...).

That handball was nothing. You can't expect a human being or a football player that is falling, to not put his arm to ease the fall.
It was not a penalty and an easy decision all the time.

I agree on the other points of course. Very bad defensively, very good offensively.

What the fuck is this?

You didn’t watch the game then just looked up stats to criticise a kid!

Pep see what I do that’s good enough for me..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.