82 | Rico Lewis - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Said in the pre-match I hope he doesn't throw him in. villa were always going to be physical and aggressive in midfield and prey on him. pep threw him to the lions. He can't play games like that for us in midfield until he grows and fills out.

Isn't tenacious enough off the ball either at the minute to make up for his physical deficiencies. Not blaming him. He cant help being that size was a poor call to play him, had to be kovacic.
On this rare occasion I agree with you.

If Kova is not fit to start I would rather play 5 at back today than throwing Rico into the lions.

He is too small and too weak to play anywhere between midfield and defense. The only position that suits him is somewhere near the opposition box, but not ours. In fact, he shouldn't be starting when playing away either.

I rate him much higher than most(apparently) seem to, but there's no denying he looked completely out of his depth tonight. Stones didn't look much better than him tbf...

Does anyone have a plausible explanation as to why he's seemingly trusted centrally more than Phil is...?
IMO Rico has become a vanity project for Pep. He brought him in when Cancelo was being a mard-arse and when things aren’t quite right Rico gets the nod.

Rico has done ok since he came into the fold but I still maintain his rise has been largely a result of circumstance more than anything else. There have been other academy players, just as good/better that didn’t get the same opportunities and are no longer at the club. His best attributes (good touch, tidy in possession, keeps it simple) are exactly the attributes I would expect to see from most City academy graduates, given the approach that all teams at the club play the same way. However, to play centrally in this team, you really have to have something about you, being a decent footballer won’t cut it, especially if you’re 5’5” and weigh about 6 stone piss wet through. IMO Foden has that something and could play in the middle, Rico will only ever be a make-do in there.

Lots of potential but fcuk me he’s always on the deck needs to improve his strength.

Was taken out of the side last season for similar reasons that we are seeing now and didn’t get back in the side regularly. He’s just not ready.

- Never a CAM(made 15 passes yesterday, only the 2 lone strikers made less)
- Too weak and mistake prone to play defence
- The only position he suits is next to Rodri but even then he headless chickens a lot of the time and is too weak to win the ball consistently.
Lad needs to get on the squat rack never seen him not at least stumble when another player makes contact, think Jesus Navas would shoulder barge him over the hoardings.

He is too small and too weak to play anywhere between midfield and defense. The only position that suits him is somewhere near the opposition box, but not ours. In fact, he shouldn't be starting when playing away either.
I get what you're saying, but I don't want him anywhere near the oppositions box.

The lad made his grade as a right back, and has been shoe horned into Central midfield at times.

He's showing nothing to me in terms of sharp passing ability, and speed, to be playing around the oppositions box.

He looks like a normal 18 year old kid playing with fully grown men.

He struggled last night against a physical Villa midfield, but he was far from alone in that regard. As with all 18 year olds, he will have good games and bad games. Last night was the latter, but he looked very bright against Leipzig and Spurs. Still has a big future ahead of him.

We all know there is a great player in there but last night showed exactly why he's not ready to play a lot of games at the moment - he still has a lot to learn.

Noticeable for me was how many times he doesn't commit to a press, instead leaving two yards for an opponent to work in. At PL level you cannot give players that space and because he gets caught neither closing the player or positioning to cut out the angle for a pass away, he's left in no mans land. This small thing then leaves us unbalanced as a team and easy to pick off.

He will be ok but to have him play such a key role without having Rodri and Kev to help him through is madness. Rico would honestly benefit more from a loan to toughen him up - Problem is we still cannot trust Philips, Nunez and Kova as all three are not doing what they should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.