82 | Rico Lewis - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
We all want him to succeed, but we have to be honest here; he was very poor last night. In his defence, he wasn't on his own. There were vastly more experienced players out there who were just as bad.

Going to be quality. Unfair to put him in a midfield with alvarez and expect them to run it.
Agreed, and I’d add a lack of match fitness John Stones too (because he’s nowhere near match fit).

Last night, I thought he’d either do excellent with his quick feet and intelligence, or, just get bullied and show he’s still a young lad, it could have worked out either way, unfortunately it was the latter, but he’ll learn.

We all know there is a great player in there but last night showed exactly why he's not ready to play a lot of games at the moment - he still has a lot to learn.

Noticeable for me was how many times he doesn't commit to a press, instead leaving two yards for an opponent to work in. At PL level you cannot give players that space and because he gets caught neither closing the player or positioning to cut out the angle for a pass away, he's left in no mans land. This small thing then leaves us unbalanced as a team and easy to pick off.

He will be ok but to have him play such a key role without having Rodri and Kev to help him through is madness. Rico would honestly benefit more from a loan to toughen him up - Problem is we still cannot trust Philips, Nunez and Kova as all three are not doing what they should be.
I honestly don’t know who would take him? I think he’s a bit of an anomaly, in that he can play for a Pep side that largely dominates but maybe wouldn’t play elsewhere. It seems crazy to think that he can get in the best side in the world, but couldn’t play in a bottom half PL side but that’s where I am at.

I just don’t see many teams taking a punt someone of his physical stature and starting him week in, week out at RB or in the middle of the park. I think he would get found out very quickly and you would end up seeing a lot of performances from him mirroring last nights.

I rate him much higher than most(apparently) seem to, but there's no denying he looked completely out of his depth tonight. Stones didn't look much better than him tbf...

Does anyone have a plausible explanation as to why he's seemingly trusted centrally more than Phil is...?
I love seeing Phil Foden going forward with the ball at his feet, the lad has a special talent. Unfortunately he doesn’t seem to like putting in a tackle. I see it without the ball when he jockeys the opponent (running behind but out of reach) without getting a tackle in.
The midfield of Stones who was swamped by Villa and Alvarez, Lewis and Akanji didn’t work, Akanji who is strong with a turn of speed is not anywhere near as capable as a midfielder or even John Stones. Lewis even with the vast potential, at present hasn’t got the upper body strength to hold down a spot in a top 6 team. Alvarez is also not a midfielder.

While the midfield was on a hiding to nothing against Villa it was devastating to the team that as well as having Rodri and Kevin De Bruyne missing we also had Jack and Doku unavailable in attack.

Kovacic and Nunez do nothing to fill the gap in our team left by the departures of Gundogan and Mahrez.

I think and hope after these 4 difficult games we realise we need at least 1 or 2 players in January and get players back like Rodri, Docu and Grealish back for the Luton games.

we get back to winning ways start against Luton.

He'd a young lad learning the game. He will have games where he's poor on the day. Simple as that. He's still a top talent, and was also no worse against AV than the likes of Bernardo Silva, Foden and Stones who have so much more experience than he does.

He'd a young lad learning the game. He will have games where he's poor on the day. Simple as that. He's still a top talent, and was also no worse against AV than the likes of Bernardo Silva, Foden and Stones who have so much more experience than he does.
Unfortunately, putting Rico (still inexperienced and very lightweight) into central midfield, away to an in-form Aston Villa, was likely to end in tears.
John Stones has also not played a full game in a long time - so Rico had little "protection".
At the moment, Rico is best suited to a game where City will dominate possession and he can drift between the opposing defensive lines.
He has undoubted talent, but is not yet ready for a hustling-bustling midfield role.
Huddersfield at home in the FA Cup is a game where Rico could start in midfield and thrive.
As Kalvin and Kovatic also need game time, put Rico in with those two as his minders ?

I rate him much higher than most(apparently) seem to, but there's no denying he looked completely out of his depth tonight. Stones didn't look much better than him tbf...

Does anyone have a plausible explanation as to why he's seemingly trusted centrally more than Phil is...?
Same opinion

I honestly don’t know who would take him? I think he’s a bit of an anomaly, in that he can play for a Pep side that largely dominates but maybe wouldn’t play elsewhere. It seems crazy to think that he can get in the best side in the world, but couldn’t play in a bottom half PL side but that’s where I am at.

I just don’t see many teams taking a punt someone of his physical stature and starting him week in, week out at RB or in the middle of the park. I think he would get found out very quickly and you would end up seeing a lot of performances from him mirroring last nights.
Was about to post the same thing regarding him being an anomaly, but didn't know how to word it without sounding harsh.

I'd go as far as saying, that he wouldn't be the right back for any team in the Premier league, and he certainly wouldn't be a central midfielder other than in a Pep team.

The issue is what happens if he doesn't make it at City, which I don't think he will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.