82 | Rico Lewis - 2023/24

Rico could have played a lot better i thought. Seemed too hesitant when receiving the ball and took the safe option of short easy passes most of the time. We saw him do more last season when he ran at players and played the through ball when he could. I think he needs to kick on from last season when given his chance to start games. Tonight he was average at best.

Thats all he really needed to do tonight to be fair to him but I still question where he is going to end up playing. I think a RB role where he inverts is natural because of his smaller stature. The DM role needs a bit more height generally to deal with the aerial threat.

Sometimes many people in here is forget that he just 18-19 years old. Utterly baffled the expectation from some people that cames for him.

Rico is doing fine, more than just fine in my opinion at his age.

Useful squad player, but if you’re gonna bung him into what was essentially a 2nd XI and expect him to shine, you’re in for a disappointment. Busy, but doesn’t really have a change of gear, or a killer pass, or any discernible dribbling ability with which to make ‘things’ happen. Does what it says on the tin. Only a young lad don’t forget and Pep clearly believes in him, so knocking him is unmerited. Looks better when recycling the ball for our better players (Foden, Kev, Bernie etc) though IMO

Thats all he really needed to do tonight to be fair to him but I still question where he is going to end up playing. I think a RB role where he inverts is natural because of his smaller stature. The DM role needs a bit more height generally to deal with the aerial threat.
Nah mate, he needs to do a lot more than he did tonight. Last season be had a confident swagger about him which belied his age and inexperience. He was knocking the ball about like a seasoned pro and even had the audacity to point to players where he wanted them to be when he got on the ball. This season he seems to be playing within himself and he seems to have lost the confidence he had.

Nah mate, he needs to do a lot more than he did tonight. Last season be had a confident swagger about him which belied his age and inexperience. He was knocking the ball about like a seasoned pro and even had the audacity to point to players where he wanted them to be when he got on the ball. This season he seems to be playing within himself and he seems to have lost the confidence he had.
It's called expectation, part of his learning curve.

He's hardly played this season and to come into any side in those circumstances is difficult.

Useful squad player, but if you’re gonna bung him into what was essentially a 2nd XI and expect him to shine, you’re in for a disappointment. Busy, but doesn’t really have a change of gear, or a killer pass, or any discernible dribbling ability with which to make ‘things’ happen. Does what it says on the tin. Only a young lad don’t forget and Pep clearly believes in him, so knocking him is unmerited. Looks better when recycling the ball for our better players (Foden, Kev, Bernie etc) though IMO
Well said mate.
The lad has worked his socks of to get where he is, he gets an odd game now and then and is expected by some City fans to be fucking awesome.
If Pep believes in you, you have worked very hard and you are very talented.
Some lads get sold, only a very few get to stay.

probably should get a loan next season. still dont see it but some experience would certainly help his development. hope he can make it here hasn't fully vanished.

He should probably take up basketball instead. I'm not one to exaggerate, overreact or have unrealistic expectations of a kid who is just starting his career.

Oh and Bobb too. He wasn't MOTM either. I'd suggest chess.

You could be right.

But (and just my opinion this), when he originally came into the side he ended up playing instead of Cancelo because he kept things simple and gave the ball to the more creative players to do things.

Cancelo sometimes got it right, no doubt about it, but players like KDB and Foden wouldn't get the ball sometimes because of Cancelo attempting the killer pass.

I think one reason Pep preferred Lewis was because the best creative players ended up seeing more of the ball.

He could be playing more simply again because of less confidence from being out the side, or he could just be sticking to instructions, it's hard to know.

Either way it's his first game for a while, so it's good to see him back and hopefully he steps up one way or another as the season goes on.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.