82 | Rico Lewis - 2024/25

a tidy player n performance again, and you can see him improving with each game. Hes got a sharp passing ability, those eye-of-the-needle passes are impressive in midfield - albeit in midst of controlling possession. Still a solid footballer who is still a work in progress

defensive position might need questioning.... still a kid ffs

the screenshot should clear it up. You can't call semedo, doku's man simply because he's the rwb and doku's the left winger. Doku is in a perfectly fine position pressuring the ball, nobody is out of position there at that point. Rico simply doesn't switch on quickly enough, he starts jogging and the sprint doesn't come soon enough.

You'll notice their striker has peeled off. It would be comical to see stones stay with the striker there as the ball goes to the opposite side, when the ball is on the other side, the whole unit shifts across and the fullback tucks in on the last man, that's just the basics of a back line, you won't see 2 centre backs split, unless you watch united.

I've seen the video, that's where the screenshot has come from, where pep wants him to play in possession has no influence on this goal. He's already back in the right back position before the ball even enters our half, at that point, he's the conventional fullback and expected to do the basics of a fullback. Gvardiol goes towards the ball, dias shifts across, stones positions off dias and Rico tucks in. They all actually attempt that, the error is Rico doesn't do it quickly enough.

He's another screenshot as the ball leaves semedos foot, you surely cannot be suggesting stones should be with the goalscorer there? Stones has to position himself off dias, he cannot leave a chasm between his centre back partner. It's a clear basic error from Lewis.

View attachment 135667
He is simply wrong side of the attacker again.

I will get pelters, but I think he was a problem in attack yesterday. Basically he would pass the ball and bomb forward every single time, I think he needs to learn that bombing forward after a pass every time is not always the right call, he should maybe fake a forward run, hold it and be available for a simple pass back if needed. He also occupied the passing lanes into Haaland quite a bit as this was the area he ran into, I think again, changing the run and position to where it suits at that time would have been more effective. he is still learning so I am not saying he is rubbish, just yesterday I think he needed to use his head more in some situations. Final thing, this is my observation, so please don't slag me off in replies, its a forum and people are allowed their own opinion.

Rico was back in, him playing further forward in possession had no impact on the goal. We lost the ball on the edge of their box, They went backwards first which allowed us to reset, meaning nobody should be put of position, the ball then pretty much switches flanks twice before they scored, he had ample time to get himself on the correct line, he simply switched off and by time he tried to react it was too late.

Here's a screen shot as the ball is still in their half going out to semedo, he's back in position. just isn't quick enough to spot the danger and put on a sprint.

View attachment 135661

I'm guessing the last bit isn't directed at me as I've not singled Rico out for not being good enough, simply pointing out that goal was on him and that's something he has to improve because teams will target the space he leaves.
In that position, a right back takes the lead in the defensive move because he can see the whole play in front of him.

The first thing Lewis should do is communicate to Stones and Dias about where Cunha is, while he gets round to take the striker.
The next and most important thing is that he busts a gut to get goal side of the striker, which he doesn’t do. But not only did he not do it, he simply jogged back.

Stones and Dias actually are in a good position because they are fairly close together and they’re in a straight line so they can communicate to each other and they maintain that position making Cunha a difficult ball for the wide man or can either run with him or play him offside if the ball is slipped into the channel, depending on what they chose as best.

Gvardiol is in the hardest position because most of the transition is going on behind him. If he gets sucked into the wide man, he can be done for a bit of trickery and pace so he righty runs parallel to the touchline.

Lewis is the only one doing anything wrong (apart from Doku who gave the ball away initially).

That’s the third time now we’ve conceded a goal from Lewis not understanding his right back role.

Last edited:
the screenshot should clear it up. You can't call semedo, doku's man simply because he's the rwb and doku's the left winger. Doku is in a perfectly fine position pressuring the ball, nobody is out of position there at that point. Rico simply doesn't switch on quickly enough, he starts jogging and the sprint doesn't come soon enough.

You'll notice their striker has peeled off. It would be comical to see stones stay with the striker there as the ball goes to the opposite side, when the ball is on the other side, the whole unit shifts across and the fullback tucks in on the last man, that's just the basics of a back line, you won't see 2 centre backs split, unless you watch united.

I've seen the video, that's where the screenshot has come from, where pep wants him to play in possession has no influence on this goal. He's already back in the right back position before the ball even enters our half, at that point, he's the conventional fullback and expected to do the basics of a fullback. Gvardiol goes towards the ball, dias shifts across, stones positions off dias and Rico tucks in. They all actually attempt that, the error is Rico doesn't do it quickly enough.

He's another screenshot as the ball leaves semedos foot, you surely cannot be suggesting stones should be with the goalscorer there? Stones has to position himself off dias, he cannot leave a chasm between his centre back partner. It's a clear basic error from Lewis.

View attachment 135667
You’re correct. Stones and Dias are still in the correct position there because there should never be a wide gap between the two centre backs.

The striker is Lewis’ man.

Anyone know how many times he won the ball back yesterday? Don't have the stats but it seemed like a lot.

Thought he had a good game again and that he was a big reason why we managed to keep the pressure on them throughout.

What I will say is that he got caught out for their goal and he switched off last second against Adama to give him a chance in the previous game. Needs to be on it from start to finish next time around.

You’re correct. Stones and Dias are still in the correct position there because there should never be a wide gap between the two centre backs.

The striker is Lewis’ man.

Lewis should be cutting that ball out 100%. I also thought Dias probably had the opportunity to anticipate the ball and cut it out though.

On the ball Lewis is much better than he is a defender. He doesn’t give the ball away much and is available for the pass all the time.

Yet he’s still ineffective when it comes to contributing to a goalscoring opportunity. He doesn’t shoot when he should, if he does it’s a bobbins shot and he does things like pass to the players wrong foot who’s in a good shooting position.

He’s got a lot to learn.

I think young players shouldn’t play too much too young in the first team at this level because they aren’t consistent (not just match to match, but minute to minute) and can get into bad habits, and I can see that happening with Lewis already.

In that position, a right back takes the lead in the defensive move because he can see the whole play in front of him.

The first thing Lewis should do is communicate to Stones and Dias about where Cunha is, while he gets round to take the striker.
The next and most important thing is that he busts a gut to get goal side of the striker, which he doesn’t do. But not only did he not do it, he simply jogged back.

Stones and Dias actually are in a good position because they are fairly close together and they’re in a straight line so they can communicate to each other and they maintain that position making Cunha a difficult ball for the wide man or can either run with him or play him offside if the ball is slipped into the channel, depending on what they chose as best.

Gvardiol is in the hardest position because most of the transition is going on behind him. If he gets sucked into the wide man, he can be done for a bit of trickery and pace so he righty runs parallel to the touchline.

Lewis is the only one doing anything wrong (apart from Doku who gave the ball away initially).

That’s the third time now we’ve conceded a goal from Lewis not understanding his right back role.
Sorry, completely disagree with this assessment and I am fairly sure Pep would, as well.

You are applying the basic positioning whilst defending normal possession to defending a counter situation, which is not fully applicable in this case. Stones doesn’t need to stay near Dias to “communicate” as they are sprinting back to their own goal when Dias has position on the middle runner, which he did. “Communication” is not going to achieve anything in a discrete counter event like this. The priority is cover all runners, as you keep a good line, which they were (though, Dias was going to be playing every Wolves player onside based on his positioning, but that was necessary to ensure the ball could not reach the middle runner, which he was expertly covering).

With a far post runner, and the RB out of position (which is almost always the case with Lewis due to how Pep asks him to play), Stones should be staying in line with Dias, but running toward the far runner to close him down and cut out any ball that may make it’s way across the box. We didn’t need two CBs covering the single middle runner, when Dias already had him adequately handled. That is a complete waste of limited resources, as we eventually saw.

Both Gvardiol and Stones made mistakes in the way they approached defending the counter. Gvardiol effectively took himself out of play by not closing either the line of the cross or Semedo down directly via hestitation (he initially ran away from Semedo, then trying to correct himself as the Wolves player launched the cross after realising Gvardiol and Stones had left an opening for it).

Stones’ mistake was the worst, though, as he completely took himself out of having any impact whatsoever on play, which is exceedingly obvious when you watch back the full video of the goal (he is in no man’s land, covering neither a player nor relevant space to prevent danger as the ball comes in). I am fairly confident he would be the first to admit he should have done much better.

We can say Lewis should have gotten back faster, which could be a reasonable criticism (though, as I have pointed out several times, he was unlikely to have ever been in a position to properly cover the far post runner due to his starting position; Stones was the defender who could have).

But to act as if neither Gvardiol nor Stones did anything wrong in that defensive situation, and thus did not significantly contribute to conceding the goal, is just not credible when applying even basic tactical analysis.

It’s strange to even have to argue this, as this is pretty standard stuff you are taught as defenders coming up through youth football.

Last edited:
I will get pelters, but I think he was a problem in attack yesterday. Basically he would pass the ball and bomb forward every single time, I think he needs to learn that bombing forward after a pass every time is not always the right call, he should maybe fake a forward run, hold it and be available for a simple pass back if needed. He also occupied the passing lanes into Haaland quite a bit as this was the area he ran into, I think again, changing the run and position to where it suits at that time would have been more effective. he is still learning so I am not saying he is rubbish, just yesterday I think he needed to use his head more in some situations. Final thing, this is my observation, so please don't slag me off in replies, its a forum and people are allowed their own opinion.
Agreed. A few posters getting irked by some of us making criticisms of him, but I don’t think anyone making critical comments is saying he’s a “bad player”. I’m certainly not and have included positives about him too. But ultimately I do think he has been a weak link for us at times.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.