9/11 where were you?

Looking back, it’s incredible to think that the cockpit was like a tourist attraction!
The company, that I work for had already designed and manufactured a fortified Kevlar bulletproof cockpit door, up until 9/11 we didn’t have many takers, as the doors fitted were previously made of tissue paper and very often pinned open.
Post 9/11 the doors became mandatory, and we spent the next 10 years retrofitting and installing bulletproof cockpit doors,with pin code access which are now fitted on all commercial aircraft.
I went into the cockpit of a JMC 757 about 4 weeks before 9/11, I had to wait until the kids had their go but I remember it being very cramped and the pilot had his feet up literally, there didn't seem much room for manoeuvre in there.

Don’t know. Don’t care. All these USA based news flashes irritates me like hell. Yes it was a disaster. Yes innocent people died. So did a lot more due to the tsunami in Indonesia. Heard anything from that lately?
Anyways it’s 20 years later. Life moves on. Even Ronaldo gained age. Although if you listen to MothD he had grown younger. Fecked up USA ruled world.
what the actual fuck

Working at Microsoft. As it unfolded I was in a reception area with live TV coverage on a large screen. The entire sequence of tragic events seemed unreal - this can't be happening.

Was walking across the road from our aquatics centre to the hotel I worked for, the gardener stopped me and said "someones bombed america" as I passed, and tbh wasn't reappy paying attention to him, went into the kitchen and with no telly or radio just went back to work, little snippets were mentioned by people arriving for work later and for a hotel with half board the service was empty.

Finished work and went to the staff block and we saw the news, but paid half attention as were tired after a shift and eager to get to the pub.

Once in the pub though we were told of the days events by those there, then it was like Fuck me and what the fuck.

Think if you were too busy too watch it live and saw it later the shock was lessened, but still wasn't any less startling and saddening

Working at Microsoft. As it unfolded I was in a reception area with live TV coverage on a large screen. The entire sequence of tragic events seemed unreal - this can't be happening.
I remember distinctly when we got to the conference and the FAA was shutting down the airspace that we saw a Bloomberg headline that said there were 11 aircraft “unreachable” or something, where we thought this might be far, far worse.

Seeing the second plane hitting the tower and the sudden realization that this was no singular accident but an attack was an indescribable feeling of shock.

I worked nights at the time and it wasn't unusual for me to fall asleep with the TV on. I woke up facing the TV and saw the image of the first tower. I'd use subtitles so there was no sound. Took me a minute to focus and try to understand what was happening. Just as I reached for the remote to put the sound on, the second plane hit. One of those instances of watching events unfold live and saying it couldn't possibly be happening. A stark and tragic reminder of how vulnerable air travel was.

Remember being in the office at work and hearing about this, thought nothing of it until I went home and saw it on the news.

My first thought was that the world will never be the same again.

At work, interviewing customers. We heard snippets but was all third hand at that point.
One customer came in and told us the two WTC buildings had collapsed, at which point my friend and colleague said shortly after he left "Is he taking the piss??"
None of us had smart phones at that time.

Watched it in on the trading floor, we had a big TV with news on 24/7. First one I thought what a terrible accident. Our NY office at the time was in the World Trade Centre (building with dome on). Knew a few at CF.

When we lived in NJ a few years later so many of the kids round our way had lost a parent or close relative in them. Our neighbour was in them on the morning but had gotten out safe. They had an art display at ground zero path station that some of the kids had drawn that were directly impacted with messages and that on - so so moving, don’t know where display is now - hope it’s still on public display somewhere

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.