9/11 where were you?

Worked in a trading floor in Hamburg back then. Followed the full coverage while trading selling orders, equity market. We went on strike in that absurd situation and our boss finally agreed to stop trading after the 1st tower went down.

My colleague received a mail from his broker in the 2nd tower top floors which said
"Bye bye, we are dying."

Back home on the tube I caught myself looking furiously at any half Arab looking person and felt ashamed.
Human souls simply couldn't handle that day.

Playing devils advocate to his posts, which to be clear I disagree with

A week after I was in Singapore and as the UK and US press were dominated by it, it wasn't even news, 2 days after I was in Thaialnd, the only news on Islamic terrorism was the insurgents on the malaysian border.

To put it plainly what happens in America and europe is irrelevant in most of the world unless it directly affects them.

Europe, north American and the Middle sEast take up less than 30% of the worlds population, and tbh the other 70%are not interested in what goes on in America , europe or the middle east unless it affects them.

Though to us it seems insulting to hear apathy about terrorism towards the west in all honesty over two thirds of the world don't care as it isn't their issue.

Sounds insensitive and harsh I know and not my personal opinion on it , but taking emotion out to understand why some comment as they do
Before playing devil's advocate -- which, IMO, was unnecessary, but whatever -- I don't see any response to his/her original post which was "Don't know. Don't care."

Not caring about the USA, terrorism, etc. is one thing -- not caring on a human level is quite another.

We were in Tenerife and had been for a walk in the afternoon.

Mrs Flyer wanted something from the supermarket and the first one we found was underground. From street level you went down one level on an escalator to the supermarket, a few other shops and a small bar.

So we went down and I said I'd get the beers in while she went to the shop. As we're going down the escalator, I saw the bar, but all of the customers were looking at a really old tv on the wall and I genuinely thought they were watching the film Towering Inferno.

It was only when I got closer that I realised what they were actually watching. We were sat having a beer while people were throwing themselves to death out of the windows.

Before playing devil's advocate -- which, IMO, was unnecessary, but whatever -- I don't see any response to his/her original post which was "Don't know. Don't care."

Not caring about the USA, terrorism, etc. is one thing -- not caring on a human level is quite another.

I agree, and as I said I don't agree with the original post by him/her or such thinking, all life is sacred nationalities and beliefs shouldn't come into it.

9/11 was horrendous and to say you don't care about such loss of life is quite awful an opinion.

I was working at Barclays in Knutsford. Someone told us all that some light plane had crashed into the trade towers. Then someone said another had crashed and we all logged onto the internet to find out what was going on.

Barclays told us to get off the internet because we were taking up all the bandwidth so it was a news blackout sort of with people getting information from relatives over the phone. Lots of gossip and specualtion. It wasnt until I got home that I found out the full picture

I watched this the other day, quite a good documentary. Bush finding out that the US was under attack was amazing, the emotions he must have been going through.

Quite stark how unprepared for any major event that the US govn were.

We were on holiday in Turkey and waiting for the lift to take us up to our room after spending the afternoon on the beach, a German woman got out of the lift saying catastrophe, catastrophe in America, we thought there had been an earthquake in California couldn't believe what we were watching on the news.

Was working in a house out by the airport with no radio. The painter came in and told us about it. It was then that we realized there were no planes in the sky.
Listened to reports on the car radio on the way home but had no idea what had really happened until we got home and saw it on the tv.

I also work in the aircraft industry, I was in a meeting at BAe Samlesbury, when the news came out.

I was due to start my apprenticeship at Chad on Monday the 17th September, it got pushed back 2 weeks to the 1st October been working at BAe ever since.

I remember I was working part time at JD Williams when the attacks happened, cant remember exactly but im pretty sure I came home from work at 2 and stuck Sky Sports News on as usual, it must have been on the breaking news banner at the bottom because I turned straight over to Sky News (which I would never ever normally have done) and watched the second aircraft fly into the towers live, didnt move for the rest of the day/night. Still to this day I cant quite get my head round the sheer horror experienced by the many many innocent people who lost their lives that day.

Pretty certain ive watched every documentary ever made on the incident

waiting for train home after school

always remember a guy on the phone being really angry and upset - he must have heard the news.

I got home and saw it all over the news

the day that changed the world for sure.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.