9 | Erling Haaland - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed in the Seville match, there were a couple of occasions when a ball over the top would have sent him clear or just 1-on-1. The passes weren't made and he looked a little disappointed. I wonder if this something Pep has ordained, or perhaps his team mates haven't quite tuned in yet to his movement and the space he can create.

Haaland arriving in the six yard box:

Last edited by a moderator:
What struck me in last night's game was the space he creates for himself for his second goal. His movement takes him away from the defenders and whilst there is an element of good fortune to where the ball fell, his skill at creating that space for himself, is the reason he gets so many goals.

He has all the physical attributes to be a top player, but his ability to create space for himself and to read the game, is what makes him so dangerous. I also loved seeing his quotes about all the City games he's watched over the years and imagined himself in this team. That attention to detail has no doubt helped him hit the ground running... and then some!
I wouldn’t say it’s good fortune to preempt a shot across the keeper and it’s saved… it’s instinct; that will happen 9/10 times unless it’s clinical from the player shooting, it’s actually one of the first things taught, be ready for the spillage..

What was most impressive was his change in positioning during that phase, 2 transitions, with the latter bread and butter for most strikers!

There is just something beautiful about a man this size soaring through the air, his head 2 feet above the goal with the look of pure concentration on his face, to tap in a searing cross from KDB. He made that look too easy.

But you have to ask, is he making some of these finishes harder than they need to be? There are times when it seems like just getting a head on the ball would be much simpler (and less painful) than throwing his body 5 feet in the air and landing straight on his arm or back. But hey, I'm not complaining with the results!

My guess is that if the ball trajectory changes e.g. because the goalkeeper gets his fingertips on it, it is quicker and more precise to make the necessary adjustments with just his foot than with his head and entire upper body.

Iv watched Dortmund since hes been there and seen him go from young goal scorer to a goal scoring machine.
He was already a goal scoring machine when he arrived at Dortmund, to be fair. He was absolutely lethal in Salzburg, including scoring goal after goal in the UCL against far better teams.

Life’s a bit fucking meh for many people right now, for one reason or another.

This guy adds a bit of magic and respite to what would otherwise be a thoroughly miserable time. I look forward to watching him once or twice a week, and at this point I’ve come to realise he’ll always deliver.

Watching City play is always great, but having this monster in our team takes it up a level.

Thanks for cheering us up Erling, and thanks City.

My guess is that if the ball trajectory changes e.g. because the goalkeeper gets his fingertips on it, it is quicker and more precise to make the necessary adjustments with just his foot than with his head and entire upper body.
Fair point, it does also make for some sweet highlights too lol. I would've lost it if he connected on that little back heel flick thing he was going for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.