9 | Erling Haaland - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have absolutely zero doubt that I'll wake up to a ton of shit for this take but I maintain we're not a better team with him than without him.

In the modern game, you need your forward to be able to press consistently.

Did we fluke the treble with him playing every game last season or did we get transported back to 1975 so his lack of pressing wasn't an issue?

We need to give him the fucking ball. He loses it less often than the likes of Alvarez or Doku and is far, far more productive when he has it.

He got the through ball he wanted but found the keeper equal to his shot. However, he should have done better with his header. It's not the first time that he has headed such a ball back at a savable height rather than head it downward and give the keeper less chance. Hard shift.

He did his role adequately. One double chance, the shot was too tight of an angle to score from imo. The header is scoreable though. Other than that he held the ball up well when it came to him, he made runs in behind we just refused to play him in and the few times we tried it. The relatively simple ball to do so was piss poor.

If haaland was playing for villa tonight making thr same runs, with the way they looked for the ball in behind all the time, he gets at least half a dozen efforts on goal and you would assume bags a couple of them at least.

Far from the problem.

I wouldn’t judge any forward in games like tonight. He’s up there on his own with absolutely nothing coming his way. It was that bad out there that Haaland was probably in our top 3 performers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.