9 | Erling Haaland - 2023/24

All of those matches are from last season. Let's focus on medium-hard difficulty matches this season. This would be against the top 12 teams, difficult matches in UCL (Real Madrid, Leipzig), difficult matches in EFL and FA (Newcastle x2 and Tottenahm where Haaland was injured) + European supercup.

Haaland has played 16 PL games of that type + 4 games in UCL + 1 European Supercup + twice against Newcastle from Carabao or FA. A total of 23 higher difficulty matches. He scored in 7 of those games (9 goals in total for 0.4 goals every match). 23 of his goals come from easier matches.

And Haaland is way less impactful than other type of strikers, so if he doesn't score, he really is not that involved in the game.

My problem is that it seems for some people, he cannot be criticized, and he is our best player and the best striker of the world with no possible discussion, and we could have never won the treble without him. Even in the last season (where he was much better than this season), most City fans would never say he was our best player. The statement of: we wouldn't have gotten anywhere close to a treble without him is laughable (when we were 2 or 3 matches away from the treble the previous 2 seasons).
He's had fucking injury issues this season and it's not just Haaland that's struggled in those big games the entire team has.

He's still the Premier league top goal scorer 2nd highest Champions League goal scorer so not bad for somebody under performing and playing with pain.

Haaland is also heavily marked in the bigger games look at Gabriel & Saliba. Rudiger & Tchouameni were literally stuck to him the other night ffs

It's his 2nd season he's 22 give him a break ffs.

Haaland was nowhere near useless though. Look at the goals Foden & Gvardiol scored.

Real Madrid put 2-3 men on Haaland - and the price was that the space for those shots opened up.
False. He is static on both goals and have zero impact on both. But let's do a detailed analysis of both.

Phil's goal: The positioning of both CBs is the normal one with or without a 9. Rudiger is close to Haaland who is not moving. Phil receives the ball, Tchouameni (who is not marking Haaland at all) immediately runs towards Phil. As soon as Tchouameni presses, Rudiger closes the angle (and again both CBs are i a natural position). When Rudiger does that, Carvajal moves to mark Haaland. Carvajal was very far from Phil, having zero impact on Phil's angle. Conclusion: Haaland had zero impact on that goal.

Gvardiol's goal: This one is laughable. Madrid has like 9 players in the box (low block defending, very natural positioning), Haaland is on the other side of the box being marked by only one player, Gvardiol gets the ball from Jack, Kroos was a little slow to close him (and Kroos was like 15m away from where Haaland was).

To be fair, let's give an example of having an impact on a possible goal: Bernardo's shot in the 2nd half that goes straight to Lunin. In that action there is 3v2, Haaland runs to the space, Rudiger follows him (to be fair any CB would do that against any striker because if not you leave the striker in a 1v1), this opens the angle to Bernardo who then decides to shoot.

FFS

90 games 82 goals 15 assists that's 97 goal contributions it's Messi & Ronaldo levels, better than anything Kun Aguero did.

Champions League top goal scorer.

Dortmund home Champions League scored a superb goal to win us the game.
5 fucking goals in R16 vs RB Leipzig
Bayern Qtr final Champs League 2 goals 1 assist
Palace 2-0 down brought us back to life scoring a Hatrick
Tottenham at home 2 down HT scored and helped us turn it around.
Hatrick against the rags which hadn't been done in years.
Arsenal away last season goal to finish off Arsenal
Arsenal again at home 1 goal 2 assists

This is just of the top of my head they'll be more but seriously stop listening to the media.

He's a world class striker and he's obviously heavily marked in the bigger games. Maybe it would also help if our midfield found him more as well.

We wouldn't have gotten anywhere fucking close to a treble or still be in with a shout this season without him.

UNBELIEVABLE SOME OF YOU.
You’re entitled to your opinion, as I am mine.
My opinion isn’t based at all on the media: it’s based on what I see. I don’t let the media dictate my opinions.

I also said since the back end of last season - not that he has *never* scored a big goal.

Do I rate Haaland - he’s obviously brilliant.
Is his goal scoring record brilliant - it quite clearly is.
Would I have expected him to show up a bit more in big games: CL final, FA Cup Final, Real Madrid (3 games), Liverpool twice this season, Arsenal twice this season, Liverpool away last season - the answer is yes. If you didn’t expect anything from him in those games then so be it. I’ve limited it to very big games.

My view doesn’t warrant some melodramatic “Unbelievable some of you” - chill out.

You’re entitled to your opinion, as I am mine.
My opinion isn’t based at all on the media: it’s based on what I see. I don’t let the media dictate my opinions.

I also said since the back end of last season - not that he has *never* scored a big goal.

Do I rate Haaland - he’s obviously brilliant.
Is his goal scoring record brilliant - it quite clearly is.
Would I have expected him to show up a bit more in big games: CL final, FA Cup Final, Real Madrid (3 games), Liverpool twice this season, Arsenal twice this season, Liverpool away last season - the answer is yes. If you didn’t expect anything from him in those games then so be it. I’ve limited it to very big games.

My view doesn’t warrant some melodramatic “Unbelievable some of you” - chill out.

Don't need to chill out.

Like I said 90 games 82 goals and 15 assists in less that 2 seasons not bad for 52m. See ya.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.