9 | Erling Haaland - 2023/24

He was absent for several weeks through injury, and teams like Bournemouth, Everton and United just put eleven men in the penalty area. Haaland unpicked United anyway at the end, but you can’t expect miracles all the time

Some of our supporters don't deserve the best goalscorer in the world at our club.

Can't believe the disrespect he gets when he has a quiet game. The guy breaks goalscoring records for fun. He has almost a goal per game ratio in England, basically unheard of in England in the last few decades. More champions league goals than games too. We won a treble in his first season here in which he scored over 50 goals.

He misses a few chances now and again, all strikers do. He has a quiet game now and again, all strikers do. What all strikers can't do is put the ball in the net like he can.
I don't remember Aguero ever scoring at Anfield. The team collectively failed in the second half.

Plenty of games where Kane has plodded about doing fuck all.

As for Haaland on Sunday I watched the highlights earlier and he was involved with quite a bit of our good stuff. Not his best game but not his worst.
Did the same and said the same.

He's a top player but with some limitations you have to work around. Pep found the setup at the end of last season - 8 players who will work their socks off and keep supreme control of the ball in all areas of the pitch as a base, with Haarland partnered up top with a player basically given a free role to supply him. Despite his record he is still young and not the finished article so we wisely surrounded him with experienced heads, nobody else was below 26 years old I believe. Now we're surrounding him with the far more scatterbrained Foden, Doku, Alvarez.

With the workrate and physicality of that side we could could allow the opposition spells of possession to draw them on and have Haarland threaten the space left, that's no longer possible. Alvarez works hard to press but is dreadful in any kind of defending going back towards his own goal, Foden/Doku are lightweight, leap out of challenges and show little interest in tracking back. De Bruyne's defensive effort and energy have been on the slide since missing the whole season through injury in 18/19. It only leaves us with the high press but Haarland is a gangly 6 foot 6 giant and will never be anywhere near as effective as Jesus or Tevez doing it.

I would have preferred us to double down on the approach that secured the treble- compactness, physicality, methodical control and dangerous. For Pep it seems to have been a means to an end and now he wants to win with Kloop's chaos ball minus a midfield. I wonder if we're reluctant to build the side around Haarland because we know he won't be with us much longer.

As for the pining after Kane, he is the millstone around the neck of good teams. Supposedly the better footballer but when they played in the same league Haarland had over twice as many assists despite not having the freedom to "drop into them spaces" as Kane calls it and sling his hero passes around. Haarland doesn't get involved in that ego play, just moves the ball on quickly and creates a chance or bags an assist. We've had some lucky escapes in transfers Jorginho, Sanchez, Chucurella but Kane for me was the biggest.

He's a top player but with some limitations you have to work around. Pep found the setup at the end of last season - 8 players who will work their socks off and keep supreme control of the ball in all areas of the pitch as a base, with Haarland partnered up top with a player basically given a free role to supply him. Despite his record he is still young and not the finished article so we wisely surrounded him with experienced heads, nobody else was below 26 years old I believe. Now we're surrounding him with the far more scatterbrained Foden, Doku, Alvarez.

With the workrate and physicality of that side we could could allow the opposition spells of possession to draw them on and have Haarland threaten the space left, that's no longer possible. Alvarez works hard to press but is dreadful in any kind of defending going back towards his own goal, Foden/Doku are lightweight, leap out of challenges and show little interest in tracking back. De Bruyne's defensive effort and energy have been on the slide since missing the whole season through injury in 18/19. It only leaves us with the high press but Haarland is a gangly 6 foot 6 giant and will never be anywhere near as effective as Jesus or Tevez doing it.

I would have preferred us to double down on the approach that secured the treble- compactness, physicality, methodical control and dangerous. For Pep it seems to have been a means to an end and now he wants to win with Kloop's chaos ball minus a midfield. I wonder if we're reluctant to build the side around Haarland because we know he won't be with us much longer.

As for the pining after Kane, he is the millstone around the neck of good teams. Supposedly the better footballer but when they played in the same league Haarland had over twice as many assists despite not having the freedom to "drop into them spaces" as Kane calls it and sling his hero passes around. Haarland doesn't get involved in that ego play, just moves the ball on quickly and creates a chance or bags an assist. We've had some lucky escapes in transfers Jorginho, Sanchez, Chucurella but Kane for me was the biggest.
I don't get the hate for Phil Foden he's been City's best player this season.

When he’s finishing everything like last season then hes a must pick

when he needs three chances to score one like this season he’s a liability , we have to carry his lack of work rate and average link up play

He must be carrying this foot injury still as he’s dropped off a cliff this season

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.