9 | Erling Haaland - 2023/24

there need to be lot of runs into the box. when 1/2 CBs are busy with Haaland and my s well completely mark him out of the game we need to use that to our advantage of making nice runs into the box and also play the ball in there accurately. unfortunately we dont have a fullback able to make some magic around the box , quick 1-2, etc.
someone like Cancelo would have a field day in current set up, as teams usually happy to give up some space on the wide areas as very often we push up Walker and Gvardiol to provide width compared to last season when Mahrez, Grealish was stuck on the sideline. which then made the opponent defence to stretch their line wider (leaving bit more space) allowing likes of KDB, Gundo to punish them with some real clever passing...
rather than this season when they can concentrate front of box to close space there and allow some time on the ball to Walker, Gvardiol who rarely will use that ball well enough in an attacking situation. Walker's crosses likely to end up a throw in on the other side...

Cancelo or fullback in similar style could deliver some killer crosses, or try to get into the box and shoot/pass, none of these are happening with Gvardiol and Walker (or Akanji) or maybe once/twice every 10 games, rather than 2/3 times a game.

having said that it still feels Haaland aint causing as much problem with his presence to CB's as he could. not capable of great pressing neither is KDB anymore, so defenders dont feel harassed that much.
Glad someone mentioned Cancelo. I felt the same that he could have been useful during the game yesterday.

Ake and De Bruyne definitely fall into that category. Haaland doesn't. Alvarez should be playing if Haaland isn't 100%.
To be honest and this may not be popular but does this KDB fall into the undroppable category?

I think we have a big decision to make on him in the summer, he came back like a man on a mission, sadly the more he has played the older he has looked.

To be honest and this may not be popular but does this KDB fall into the undroppable category?

I think we have a big decision to make on him in the summer, he came back like a man on a mission, sadly the more he has played the older he has looked.
I can't remember exactly what Pep said, but he was asked not long ago about KDB going to Saudi and didn't exactly give a ringing endorsement on his coming back/getting a new deal.

That's a tricky one.

Its like Haaland. People call for him to be dropped, but in my opinion you can't drop players who average about a goal a game in their career because that means the goals are due. Imagine dropping him and not scoring, it would look like an awful decision. There's no common sense in dropping someome with a freak goalscoring record.

Same with De Bruyne. I don't think he's at his peak, but he's capable of something that nobody else is. Drop him and you might just be losing the extra few % of brilliance he's capable of that can win a game. That's the risk you take. You drop him and still lacking in creativity, it looks a silly decision.

However i do think De Bruyne is coming to a point where he's more droppable than ever. There's no doubt we've seen the best of him in terms of his physical peak. We definitely need to start managing his minutes at least.

Like any player, you look at contribution, doing what was asked, and application.

Playing the two of them (EH & KDB) as the forward players meant they were always going to be chasing shadows without the ball and struggling, often against two players, on the ball.

Personally, I think KBD is wasted as the second striker. His position is LM/RM, with the occasional rest as second striker during a rotation. Golden and Alvarez are much more suited to the second striker role when we play the 4-4-2/4-2-4, with someone alongside Rodri.

Yesterday, we played with Kova alongside Rodri WITHOUT the ball and the RB alongside Rodri WITH the ball. The problem with playing KDB as the second striker is that when we are all hands on deck and need an extra in midfield on defence, he’s often walking back from his forward position, having shagged himself chasing shadows upfront in a 2 on 4 “press.”

In short, we are an OFFENSIVE team that not only doesn’t like playing defence, but struggles with it, especially on the break, because our entire structure is based on offensive overloads. By definition, this leaves us light at the ball, esp against a 10 man defence with rabbits ready to counterattack.

It is no coincidence that other top teams see how we play and have developed and improved their system of playing against us over the seasons. No wins against the Top 5 this season so far. 2 draws against Liverpool, both from winning positions, and 4 points to Arsenal in their games. “Win at home and draw away” against the Top 6 usually means Champions and that’s just not us this season.

In short, they body Haaland and stick a few man markers on Rodri and KDB and say “OK, now break us down!” and we have been unable to do so too often this season.

I hope Txiki can see what we can see, because we NEED strong new blood that can contribute immediately. In addition, we need to have a manager lined up for when the inevitable happens…be that Haaland, KDB or Pep, because it’s looking like ALL THREE might leave at the exact same time!

He's in a poor run of form. Maybe the injury hasnt fully healed. Maybe theres something else, or maybe he's just not at it for whatever reason.

I saw what he's capable of last season. It was astounding. That hasn't disappeared. It will be back.

I think we have to separate current form from ability. He is on Ronaldo and Messi numbers. No one else is fucking close. I wouldn't swap him for anyone.

Agreed. Your last sentence was all that was needed. He has more than enough credit in the bank. Last seasons form will be rediscovered, it's just a matter of when.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.