90 minutes of booing Dippers

I dunno. The Rags start playing like Stoke and now the Scousers fans start booing like Stoke fans. The longer we had the ball, the louder the booing got - until we had so much possession (and scored two) that they were all booed out. Frankly it seems daft to me to draw attention to your opponents' good play.

jayblue said:
blueish swede said:
At the end of the day the booing is of no consequence. Personally, I only boo at panto. That's my choice, others make different choices.

On the field it was a cracking game of football for the neutral, probably one of the best games of the year.

Off the field, once again, fate has called on City fans to show the best side of football to the world and once again blues showed the world they are more than up to the task.
Do you think the scousers would have passed the Munich anniversary test? Or the rags made the grade yesterday?

Football with a smile - but when life makes it hard to smile is when true class shows through.
excellent post

I agree.

Spot on Ian Cheeseman:
2) The booing by Liverpool fans

There’s nothing wrong with booing, I’ve done it myself at Pantomimes. It’s not offensive but it felt disrespectful to me. I’m not being a prude, and I’d have understood it more if City fans had disrespected the minutes silence for the victims of the Hillsborough disaster or if a City player had made a dangerous tackle (as Henderson later did) or had been diving around looking to get a penalty or an opponent sent off (as Suarez did repeatedly), but the City fans were impeccable.

Right from the kickoff the Liverpool booing was incessant. It didn’t feel sporting to me. Support your team by all means, but booing a club who’d shown such great respect for your emotions on a difficult anniversary, left a sour taste in the mouth, as did cheering when Yaya Toure picked up his injury.

There are of course a couple of other points sewn into that section too!

3) Bad decisions

Suarez should have been sent off for persistent diving, Skrtel should have been sent off for deliberate hand ball, and a penalty awarded.

I went to Anfield hoping that if City didn’t win the title, it would be Liverpool. I know it might not be popular to say this, because a tide of media headlines and stories suggest the whole nation want Steven Gerrard and Liverpool to win the Premier League this season, but I’m not sure I do, after that Anfield experience.

Rich lfc said:
Bilboblue said:
LFCJax said:
It's not really disrespectful, I'd take it as a compliment that the fans had to go above and beyond to try and affect your game.

To be honest I really liked it, reminded me of away games in Turkey where the hostile atmosphere can seem to stop you from playing, it sucks the life out of the away side and energizes the home side.

Yeah, really worked in the second half when you lot were sat on yer whistling fingers, shitting yourselves.

And your point is we shouldn't bother, then we end up with an atmosphere like the etihad, your a quality side and at 2-0 you were always going to come at us, but at least at the end of the game you leave the stadium feeling like the crowd gave their all, did you go to the match?

I didn't because the tickets were sold out before it got to my points level. Not sure I would have bothered anyway as Liverpool is a hole, I have been many times before and hate the place as well as the toerags that infest it.

Your point is?

mancitymick said:
Spot on Ian Cheeseman:

There’s nothing wrong with booing, I’ve done it myself at Pantomimes. It’s not offensive but it felt disrespectful to me. I’m not being a prude, and I’d have understood it more if City fans had disrespected the minutes silence for the victims of the Hillsborough disaster or if a City player had made a dangerous tackle (as Henderson later did) or had been diving around looking to get a penalty or an opponent sent off (as Suarez did repeatedly), but the City fans were impeccable.

Right from the kickoff the Liverpool booing was incessant. It didn’t feel sporting to me. Support your team by all means, but booing a club who’d shown such great respect for your emotions on a difficult anniversary, left a sour taste in the mouth, as did cheering when Yaya Toure picked up his injury.

3) Bad decisions

Suarez should have been sent off for persistent diving, Skrtel should have been sent off for deliberate hand ball, and a penalty awarded.

I went to Anfield hoping that if City didn’t win the title, it would be Liverpool. I know it might not be popular to say this, because a tide of media headlines and stories suggest the whole nation want Steven Gerrard and Liverpool to win the Premier League this season, but I’m not sure I do, after that Anfield experience.

Totally agree with this.

There is a massive confusion here.

There is nothing wrong with a partisan atmosphere at a football match. Football is sport, competition and people go to support their team, to encourage them. This may involve singing, cheering, waving flags and scarves and even booing on occasions to show disapproval of foul play by an opponent.

The trouble is that some on here want a hostile atmosphere and hostility has no place in football. LFCJax praises the "hostile" atmosphere in Turkey because it "can seem to stop you from playing, it sucks the life out of the away side and energizes the home side." This is not football but its exact opposite. It is, of course, intimidation and it is to prevent football, competition and what fans want to watch. Indeed the "hostility" has spilled over into murder in Turkey as Leeds United fans (and others) will testify. We have experienced the "hostility" of the Naples crowd. So have Bayern Munich fans, but a couple of them are too dead to remember.

This is the trouble with "hostile" atmospheres. They actually culminate in systematic booing of opposition players and it can last for the whole 90 minutes. Unfortunately, there are darker forces on the fringe of football that do not understand exactly where the limits of "hostility" are. Support for their team has given way to a hatred of the opposition, so that before the booing some are involved in throwing missiles at the other team's fans (on Sunday), or at the other team's players (usual for Liverpool against against United). I noticed that Brendan Rodgers had talked of "unleashing" the Liverpool crowd before the match. I can only assume that he was too preoccupied by memories of Hillsborough to remember what happened when Liverpool fans "unleashed" themselves on fans of Juventus in 1985.

Talk of "hostility" in football has no place and always spills over into behaviour which will destroy the game.

It’s definitely a very European thing all that whistling, especially in Spain

To be honest, considering how sterile of lot of top flight British grounds are, it’s good to see the flags out at the Kop and the fans creating their atmosphere, even if it will only be for that one match. Palace have their Ultras, would be good to see more clubs do something to get their identity in their grounds.

In saying that, every banana skin the dippers slip up on I will take a lot of pleasure in 

BluessinceHydeRoad said:
There is a massive confusion here.

There is nothing wrong with a partisan atmosphere at a football match. Football is sport, competition and people go to support their team, to encourage them. This may involve singing, cheering, waving flags and scarves and even booing on occasions to show disapproval of foul play by an opponent.

The trouble is that some on here want a hostile atmosphere and hostility has no place in football. LFCJax praises the "hostile" atmosphere in Turkey because it "can seem to stop you from playing, it sucks the life out of the away side and energizes the home side." This is not football but its exact opposite. It is, of course, intimidation and it is to prevent football, competition and what fans want to watch. Indeed the "hostility" has spilled over into murder in Turkey as Leeds United fans (and others) will testify. We have experienced the "hostility" of the Naples crowd. So have Bayern Munich fans, but a couple of them are too dead to remember.

This is the trouble with "hostile" atmospheres. They actually culminate in systematic booing of opposition players and it can last for the whole 90 minutes. Unfortunately, there are darker forces on the fringe of football that do not understand exactly where the limits of "hostility" are. Support for their team has given way to a hatred of the opposition, so that before the booing some are involved in throwing missiles at the other team's fans (on Sunday), or at the other team's players (usual for Liverpool against against United). I noticed that Brendan Rodgers had talked of "unleashing" the Liverpool crowd before the match. I can only assume that he was too preoccupied by memories of Hillsborough to remember what happened when Liverpool fans "unleashed" themselves on fans of Juventus in 1985.

Talk of "hostility" in football has no place and always spills over into behaviour which will destroy the game.

Superb post.

mancitymick said:
Spot on Ian Cheeseman:

3) Bad decisions

This is exactly right.

I was 'happy' for the scousers to win if we didn't, but now? I wish I hadn't laughed at Arsenal's demise now.

Obviously it's irrelevant though, Sergio is going to do the biz again on the last day to take it from their hands.......... please!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.