96 years ago this sunday.1st july 1916.

laserblue said:
Gary James said:
Yep. We did.

From top of my head Tom Farrell - he'd only appeared in a few games for us (check out the stats on the new history page).

I'll have a quick look at my notes.

-- Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:23 am --

Just checked....

A player called Pat McQuire died in October 1916 from injuries on the front line - don't know if he died on the day he was injured or months earlier.

Jack Yuill died in action on 9th July 1916. Not certain of the circumstances.

Of course other players (most notably Turnbull and Conlin) died on other dates in WW1.

military history is a particular interest of mine and i have references that give more details.

11710 lance sgt. jack george yuill of the 19th battalion manchester regiment was killed in action on the somme (but not the first day) on 9/7/1916. he has no known grave and is commemorated on the thiepval memorial to those men who fell on the somme and whose bodies were never found and/or identified. he was born in willesden, enlisted in manchester and lived in sale. his parents were george hall yuill and helen yuill of 'heathfield', 8 wardle road, sale.

there were 21 thomas farrells who died while serving in the army in the first world war including one in the lancashire fusiliers killed on the first day of the somme. there is no-ne called mcquire listed as died in the first world war. gary, if you have any further details on these men i'll have another dig to narrow down farrell and maybe check an alternative spelling to mcquire.

When i get chance I'll dig out more. I'll have Birth dates etc.

It may have to be next week - significant deadlines. Sorry

C1ETY said:
Not a City player but a hero anyway: My mates Great Uncle played for Exeter City when they went to Brazil and Argentina in 1912 and played in the first ever international. It took them weeks to get down there and then move over country to play their games, he enlisted after WW1 started and lost both his legs over in France.
My own Great Uncle joined The Royal Dublin Fusiliers at 16 in 1915 and was killed in the final battle his regiment fought chasing the Germans down through Belgium . He was so close to returning home . I recenlty spoke to their museum as I wanted to donate his medals to them and they told me most of the lads who returned to Ireland from the regiment after the war, went back to their farms and country villages, then killed themselves in the years following not being able to forget the horrors they had lived through.

R.I.P.

The way some of the troops were treated during and after the war was disgusting. Shot for suffering from shell-shock.

urmston said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:
To put it into context, a death in Afghanistan of a British soldier makes headline news.

On the first day at the Somme, 60,000 British soldiers were killed, the most ever.

And went on to lose something like 420,000 in total.

Sure we lost plenty during that time.

R.I.P

The usual figure quoted is 20,000.

Some historians claim that the battle of Towton in 1461, with an estimated 28,000 English soldiers killed, was the worst day in history to be an English soldier.

60,000 casualties, 20,000 of these were killed.

Some historians claim that the battle of Towton in 1461, with an estimated 28,000 English soldiers killed, was the worst day in history to be an English soldier.

That is contested by the fact that only 36000 took place altogether and it has been varied downwards to 50% casualties on both sides meaning 18000, with a third of those being killed ie 6000.

The Somme 1st day 19,240 killed, 35493 injured and 2152 missing with 585 captured the total representing 57470 (almost the capacity of Emirates) just imagine the outcry today if a disaster struck the Emirates resulting in the above casualty figures. Between 1st July - 18th November 1916 total casualties were 418000 British, 194000 French and 650000 German, Wembley filled 12 times eliminated in just over 3 months. (The War to end all Wars)

Most number of dead from a single battle in a day was the battle of Cannae between Romans and Cartheginians under Hannibal 60,000.

I have been to the Somme twice and i would thoroughly recommend it to anyone, thought provoking and emotional, the Theipval Tower and the sheer volume of graves is very moving.
Even now there are still remembrance parades in a lot of towns and villages accross Northern Ireland to remember the men of the 36th and 16th Divisions that lost so many of our brave young men that first of July morn.

Lest We Forget.<br /><br />-- Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:12 pm --<br /><br /><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntt3wy-L8Ok" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntt3wy-L8Ok</a>

my great grandad was in the salford pals...considered old at 26yrs, had 4 kids including my grandad.

he died as a result of his injuries at the somme. He was given the military medal and was the last gun carriage funeral through Eccles...i am vey proud of him and have got all the letters he sent from the front. he was also at gallipolli and other hell holes before the somme! rip henry !!

Gary James said:
Yep. We did.

From top of my head Tom Farrell - he'd only appeared in a few games for us (check out the stats on the new history page).

I'll have a quick look at my notes.

-- Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:23 am --

Just checked....

A player called Pat McQuire died in October 1916 from injuries on the front line - don't know if he died on the day he was injured or months earlier.

Jack Yuill died in action on 9th July 1916. Not certain of the circumstances.

Of course other players (most notably Turnbull and Conlin) died on other dates in WW1.

McGUIRE, PATRICK
Private
Killed in Action - 12/10/1916
17th Batt. Manchester Regiment
Commemorated Pier and Face 13 A and 14 C.
THIEPVAL MEMORIAL
Son of the late Martin and Bridget McGuire; husband of Maria McGuire, of 6, Blair St., Oldham Rd., Manchester.
Birthplace:Manchester Enlisted:Manchester

law74 said:
I have been to the Somme twice and i would thoroughly recommend it to anyone, thought provoking and emotional, the Theipval Tower and the sheer volume of graves is very moving.
Even now there are still remembrance parades in a lot of towns and villages accross Northern Ireland to remember the men of the 36th and 16th Divisions that lost so many of our brave young men that first of July morn.

Lest We Forget.

-- Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:12 pm --

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntt3wy-L8Ok" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntt3wy-L8Ok</a>

Let me tell you a story of honour and glory
Of a young Belfast soldier Billy McFadzean by name
For King and for Country Young Billy died bravely
And won the VC on the fields of the Somme

Gone Like the snowflake that melts on the river
Gone like the first rays of days early dawn
Like the foam from the fountain
Like the mist from the mountain
Young Billy McFadzean’s dear life has gone

Now Billy lies only were the red Flanders poppy
In wildest profusion paints the field of the brave
No piper recalling his deeds all forgotten
For Billy McFadzean has no known grave

My grandad won the dcm.distinguished conduct medal.2nd only to the victoria cross for great gallantry and devotion to duty near cambrai sep to nov 1918.salford lad and theres a picture up of him in pendleton legion.luckily he survived.never forget the somme.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.