A level results

I love this time of year. After 11 months of telling kids that getting a good education is the most important thing in their life, we get a few days of "it doesn't matter."

At least Asian families follow through on their word.

I am always so pleased to hear about the results because as a retired teacher and an ex-Chair of Governors of a High School I know how much work they all put in and I think their efforts need acknowledgement.

Don't think I have forgotten those who don't get the results they hope for and feel they should have got. They have worked for them as well and to them I say education doesn't stop when you leave the classroom. Life is education.
If you want to try again, go for it. I didn't get what were then '0' levels until I was 29 years old and had 4 children I went on to Teacher training and didn't get a BA (Hons) degree until I was 60 so don't ever give up on your dreams. Just keep trying. Good luck to everyone looking at A level and next week GCSE's. :-)

For any young people going down the qualifications / degree route, good luck to you.
However, if you are not academically minded, don't worry too much about it.
I left school at 16 with 6 "O" levels and gradually gained experience through working. Most employers prefer experience rather than qualifications (obviously doesn't apply to the likes of medicine or law), and jobs are usually advertised as "degree level or corresponding relevant experience".
In my life, my approach allowed me to be mortgage free at 32 and to retire early at 50.
I appreciate others enjoy the social side of further education and kudos of acquiring qualifications, but it's not the only way to get by in life.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.